On Wednesday we reported that the US Coast Guard and multiple partner agencies were searching for Philip Grenz, a 67-year-old sailor who was transiting from Nawiliwili Harbor, Kauai, to Haleiwa, Oahu. Grenz was reported as missing at 1:25 a.m. on Saturday, September 4, a little over three days after his departure aboard his 42-ft sailing vessel Epic. Multiple USCG crews and partners from the Navy, Air Force, Civil Air Patrol, and local agencies participated in the search.
After posting the story on our Facebook page, we received a comment from David Harrison, who shared a link to Hawaii News Now‘s story stating that Grenz had been found: “Officials said a Navy Boeing aircrew found Grenz. He was waving his hands while on the deck of his boat.”
This morning we checked the USCG updates and have since learned that an Air Station Barbers Point C-130 Hercules aircrew has dropped a rescue kit containing food, water and a radio to Grenz. It is reported that the vessel is disabled and the USCG Cutter William Hart is en route to aid and assist.
UPDATE: Shortly before going to press we learned that Grenz has now been rescued, taken aboard the Cutter William Hart, and is said to be in a stable condition.
In other news, the Baja Peninsula’s southwest coast is on alert for Tropical Storm Olaf. The weather system, which was earlier classified as a hurricane, is expected to move over the southern coastal regions of Baja California Sur, delivering heavy rains with the threat of significant and life-threatening flash flooding and mudslides. Olaf is expected to continue weakening as it turns westward away from land.