Welcome aboard for our 30th episode of Good Jibes! This week our host, Ryan Foland, is joined by Ron Geiger to chat about building your own boat and all things Big Geiger Cove and Catalina. Ron grew up visiting the cove that bears his family name. He’s since traveled over 50,000 nautical miles and has lived on sailboats for over 25 years.
Hear how they improved Big Geiger Cove over the years, what Ron learned through exploring Catalina Island in a dinghy, how to build your own boat, and how to cruise beyond your comfort zone.
Ryan and Ron talk about everything and everywhere from Catalina to Hawaii. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What is Big Geiger Cove?
- How did people build their own boats?
- Why was it inappropriate for unmarried couples to go sailing with each other?
- How many boats can fit in Big Geiger Cove?
- What would the title of Ron’s book be?
- How did he build his own boat?
- Is there another Big Geiger Cove rival in the Channel Islands?
- What advice does Ron have for sailing beyond your boundaries?
You can learn more at BlueWaterCruisingClub.org.