Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 — the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Ryan Foland, is joined by Ron Geiger to chat about building your own boat and all things Big Geiger Cove and Catalina. Ron grew up visiting the cove that bears his family name.
He’s since traveled over 50,000 nautical miles and has lived on sailboats for over 25 years. Hear how they improved Big Geiger Cove over the years, what he learned exploring Catalina Island in a dinghy, how to build your own boat, and how to cruise beyond your comfort zone.
This episode covers everything and everywhere from Catalina to Hawaii. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What is Big Geiger Cove?
- How did people build their own boats?
- Why was it inappropriate for unmarried couples to go sailing with each other?
- How many boats can fit in Big Geiger Cove?
- What would the title of Ron’s book be?
- How did he build his own boat?
- Is there another Big Geiger Cove rival in the Channel Islands?
- What advice does Ron have for sailing beyond your boundaries?
Learn more at BlueWaterCruisingClub.org.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Ron Geiger on Sailing to Catalina Island’s Big Geiger Cove and Beyond
- [0:20] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:28] Ryan Foland
- [0:47] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:55] Learn more at BlueWaterCruisingClub.org
- [2:38] What is Big Geiger Cove?
- [3:34] Channel Islands
- [5:08] Santa Cruz
- [6:45] World War II
- [6:56] How did people build their own boats?
- [8:17] Why was it inappropriate for unmarried couples to go sailing with each other?
- [9:12] What’s the history of moorings at Catalina?
[11:32] How many boats can fit in Big Geiger Cove?
- [12:44] Laser
- [12:53] Did Ron spend time at any other parts of Catalina Island?
- [14:23] Catalina Harbor
- [15:23] Learn more at BlueWaterCruisingClub.org
- [15:42] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List to and get on the water with some new friends
- [16:33] How would you like it if we sent Latitude 38 to your home each month? Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Building Your Own Boat
- [16:47] How did Ron build his own boat?
[18:02] VHF (Very High Frequency)
- [18:41] The Far Lands by James Norman Hall
- [19:42] Is there another Big Geiger Cove rival in the Channel Islands?
- [20:11] Thank you for listening to Good Jibes with Latitude 38! Tell a fellow sailor friend about the podcast
- [21:43] GPS (Global Positioning System)
- [23:16] Hanalei Bay
- [25:40] Had Ron ever built a boat before?
- [26:38] Modern Wooden Yacht Construction by John Guzzwell
- [27:32] Toyota Land Cruiser
- [28:23] What would the title of Ron’s book be?
- [29:00] What advice does he have for sailing beyond your boundaries?
- [29:48] Insurance
- [32:33] Pandemic
- [32:53] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [33:34] Learn more at BlueWaterCruisingClub.org
- [33:56] What final thoughts does Ron have?
- [34:06] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [34:12] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [34:17] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [35:45] Check out the March 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Ron Geiger & Ryan Foland on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.