Episode #19: Roy P. Disney on His Favorite Races and Sailing Idols
Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Ross Tibbits, is joined by Roy P. Disney to chat about his favorite sailing memories and people. You’ll recognize the name, but you may not know Roy has been sailing since he was walking – including basically every major Pacific race since his first Transpac in 1975.
Hear his advice for aspiring racers, how to get a handle on big boats, the coolest boat he’s ever sailed, his top sailing idols, and making history with the speed record in the Cabo Race.
This episode covers everything from Roy’s top racing thrills to lessons from his father. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What was it like to sail with his father?
- How did his father learn to sail?
- What awards does Roy have?
- How was the 1975 Transpac?
- Where did the name Pyewacket come from?
- How did this year’s Transpac go?
- What advice does Roy have for aspiring racers?
- Tack or Jibe: What is the #1 thing he wouldn’t do on a boat?
Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/volvo-70-pyewacket-smashes-newport-tcabo-record/.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Roy P. Disney on His Favorite Races and Sailing Idols
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:31] Ross Tibbits
- [0:39] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:52] Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/volvo-70-pyewacket-smashes-newport-tcabo-record/
- [1:40] What’s a sailing story that shaped Roy?
- [2:02] Catalina
- [3:00] What was it like to sail with his father?
- [4:14] How did his father learn to sail?
- [4:42] Norman Palmer
- [5:27] Sailing School
- [5:43] Stockholm Syndrome
- [5:52] How was the 1975 Transpac?
- [6:49] Was Roy’s father on that boat?
- [7:48] What was the crew like for that boat?
- [8:24] Cabo Race Speed Record
- [8:52] How did this year’s Transpac go?
- [9:20] What awards does Roy have?
- [9:53] Where did the name Pyewacket come from?
- [10:40] The New York Times Crossword
- [11:20] Where is Pyewacket registered?
- [12:11] Ben Ainslie
- [12:32] What advice does Roy have for aspiring racers?
- [13:18] America’s Cup
- [14:01] Warm someone’s winter with a subscription to Latitude 38! Gift a subscription at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Tack or Jibe?
- [14:41] What’s Roy’s favorite sailboat model?
- [15:42] Have they gotten harder to sail since the original Pyewacket?
- [16:54] How much cruising does Roy do?
- [17:31] What would he tell a power boater to get them to go sailing?
- [18:22] What’s the most important safety device on Pyewacket?
- [19:45] Grinder
- [20:14] What’s Roy’s greatest fear on a boat?
- [20:33] COVID-19
- [21:28] What is the #1 thing Roy wouldn’t do on a boat?
- [22:09] Is there an item he prefers to have on every race?
- [23:34] Safety-at-Sea Course
- [23:52] What will be Roy’s next race?
- [25:02] Who’s his navigator on board?
- [26:02] Who were his favorite sailing idols?
- [26:04] Dennis Conner, Gary Weisman, Ben Mitchell
- [27:42] Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/volvo-70-pyewacket-smashes-newport-tcabo-record/
- [27:50] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [27:52] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [27:56] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [28:02] Check out the December 2021 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Roy P. Disney & Ross Tibbits on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.