Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing, and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, John Arndt, is joined by Bill Trenkle to chat about a lifetime of sailing, racing, and boat love. Bill is a member of the America’s Cup Hall of Fame and has been President and Director of Operations for Dennis Conner Sports since 1996.
He’s also President of The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors and has won the America’s Cup 3 times. Hear how to go from junior sailor to professional sailor, learn to sail competitively, boat-building skills, why you should cut your hair before a race, and stories from racing and working with Dennis Conner in 8 America’s Cups. This episode covers everything from building boats to winning the America’s Cup.
Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What makes a great racing team?
- How did Bill start sailing competitively?
- What events has he raced in besides big boat races?
- Was it a steep learning curve sailing with Dennis Conner?
- What’s the story of Bill resurrecting Stars + Stripes?
- How does sailing fit in his life besides racing?
- What’s the most important lesson sailing has taught him?
- How would he inspire young aspiring sailors?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Bill Trenkle on Famous Races with Famous Sailors
- [0:23] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:28] John Arndt
- [0:41] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:51] Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/one-of-the-good-guys-bill-trenkle/
- [2:12] What is a story that shaped Bill about sailing?
- [2:31] Dennis Conner
- [2:47] Newport, RI
- [3:43] Rod Stephens
- [3:52] America’s Cup
- [4:40] How did Bill start sailing competitively?
- [9:44] Maxi Boats
- [12:40] General Dynamics
- [14:02] What makes a great racing team?
- [17:36] Was it a steep learning curve sailing with Dennis Conner?
- [18:38] What events has Bill raced in besides big boat races?
- [21:44] How would you like it if we sent Latitude 38 to your home each month? Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- [22:34] How does sailing fit in Bill’s life besides racing?
- [22:54] St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
- [25:31] Maritime College
- [25:48] What would Bill say to young aspiring sailors?
- [28:08] What’s the story of him resurrecting Stars + Stripes?
- [29:01] Sports Illustrated (SI)
- [30:53] Hurricane Irma
- [33:33] AmericasMostFamousYacht.com
- [33:54] Larry Ellison
- [34:53] Any time frame for this campaign?
- [37:36] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [37:58] What would he tell people who are hesitant to go sailing?
- [39:08] What’s the most important lesson sailing has taught him?
- [40:17] No Excuse to Lose by Dennis Conner
- [40:28] Fastnet, Force 10 by John Rousmaniere
- [40:32] The Sydney Hobart Yacht Race by Rob Mundle
- [40:37] Muskrat by Douglas Hanks
- [40:52] Black Yacht by John Baxter
- [41:20] Confessions of a Grinder by Brad Alan Lewis
- [41:55] What final thoughts does Bill have?
- [43:03] Learn more at www.BoatMan.com
- [43:28] Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/one-of-the-good-guys-bill-trenkle/
- [43:32] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [43:35] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [43:38] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS