Good Jibes #76: Hans Henken on Engineering an Olympic Campaign
This week’s host John Arndt is joined by Hans Henken to chat about the ins and outs of his Paris 2024 Olympic campaign. Hans is a world champion sailor who has raced 29ers, 49ers, the International Moth and hydrofoiling F50s. He competes for the US Sailing Team, is the starting flight controller for the US SailGP Team, and is literally a rocket scientist.
Hear what it takes to campaign for the Olympics, how to win when it gets scary out there, how to avoid burnout from sailing and racing, how Olympians compete with and support each other, and about the dynamic with his fiancée, fellow Good Jibes alum Helena Scutt.
This episode covers everything from the Olympics to the sailing power couple. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear:
- When did Hans start racing?
- How do kids avoid burnout from sailing?
- What does Hans love about racing?
- How has SailGP been?
- Does Hans use his background as an aeronautical engineer while sailing?
- How is he progressing toward the 2024 Olympics?
- What does it take to keep campaigning for the Olympics?
- Short Tacks: How do you win more races?
Learn more about Hans and donate to his Olympic campaign at BarrowsHenkenRacing.com, USSailing.org/Athletes/Hans-Henken, and Instagram @HansHenken.
You can also listen to the Good Jibes podcast with Henken’s fiancée, Olympian Helena Scutt.
Leave a Comment