Welcome to the first Good Jibes episode for 2022! This week’s host, John Arndt, is joined by Rich Jepsen to chat about his lifetime of sailing instructing and racing, and US Sailing. Rich is the president of US Sailing and has spent 34 years as managing partner of OCSC Sailing, a commercial sailing school and club. He’s been sailing since he was a child, has spent multiple decades on numerous sailing committees, and has served three separate stints on the US Sailing Board of Directors. Hear how to become a sailing instructor and encourage others to get into sailing, about the changing demographics of sailing, how to make sailing cost-effective, and about the benefits you get as a US Sailing member.
This episode covers everything from teaching sailing to family sailing trips. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How has Rich’s teaching approach changed over time?
- What kind of sailing did they do as a family?
- How did Rich get into sailing as a career?
- Why would he encourage others to be sailing instructors?
- What got him hooked at US Sailing?
- How do you get people into sailing?
- What are the next steps for US Sailing?
- Short Tacks: West Coast vs. East Coast sailing?