Welcome aboard for Good Jibes Episode 112! This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Krysia Pohl to chat about Krysia’s 23 years of service in the US Coast Guard, along with Olympic campaigns and sailing for fun. Krysia is chief, prevention at US Coast Guard Sector San Francisco and has worked directly with the past two commandants.
Hear about how she fell in love with sailing and working in the maritime world, her success for the USCGA Sailing Team, her campaign for the 2004 Olympics, what brought her back to her hometown of Alameda, and the huge opportunity for young people to get into maritime jobs.
This episode covers everything from the Coast Guard to learning to race. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear:
- Where are Krysia’s parents originally from?
- What was it like growing up in Alameda?
- When was the first time Krysia stepped onto a boat?
- Why did she decide to go to a service academy?
- Was it difficult to leave the Coast Guard?
- What kind of boat was Krysia’s Olympic campaign on?
- How did her rank change when she went back to the Coast Guard?
- Short Tacks: What’s her best sailing advice?