After some fine sailing days, chilly winter temperatures have returned to the West Coast. Many sailing events step indoors at this time of year for the purpose of preparing for the warmer summer season (which, on San Francisco Bay, can be colder than February!) Each year at this time, we find our Calendar packed with educational opportunities.
We’d like to lead off this list by promoting Bay Area artist Jim DeWitt’s talk at St. Francis Yacht Club — and to wish the Oakland native a happy 90th birthday! Jim is a retired sailmaker, a winner of the Mallory Cup, and an America’s Cup Artist in Residence. He’ll speak at StFYC’s Yachting Luncheon in San Francisco this Wednesday, February 5, noon to 1:30 p.m.
Events in San Diego
Some more highlights of events this month include the following in San Diego:
- Feb. 3-5 — US Sailing Instructor Powerboat Clinic. San Diego YC.
- Feb. 6-8 — US Sailing Sailing Leadership Forum, Hilton San Diego Resort.
- Feb. 7-9 — North U S.O.D.A. Youth Match Racing Clinic with Dave Perry. For high school sailors ages 14-18. San Diego YC.
- Feb. 15-16 — US Sailing International Offshore Safety at Sea Course with Hands-on Training, Mission Bay Aquatic Center. Or, that Sunday only, take the US Sailing International Offshore Safety at Sea Course Hands-on Training only or Safety at Sea Refresher Course. John, (760) 650-6901 or www.ussailing.org.
Seminars and Courses in Northern California
- Feb. 9 — North U Racing Tactics Seminar, Sequoia YC, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., with Andrew Kerr.
- Feb. 11-Apr. 21 — USCGA Boating Skills & Seamanship Course, 7-9:30 p.m. Tuesday evenings at Loch Lomond YC in San Rafael. $75 includes text. To sign up, contact Mary at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 246-3585.
- Feb. 16 — US Sailing Race Management Seminar, Santa Cruz YC. $45.
- Feb. 19 — The Singlehanded Transpacific Seminar Series continues with The Return Trip -— by Container or Sailor? Oakland YC, Alameda, 7:30 p.m.
- Feb. 20 — While the Corinthian clubhouse is undergoing renovation, Spaulding Marine Center in Sausalito will host the next Corinthian Speaker Series, starting at 7 p.m. Retired San Francisco bar pilots Rick Hurt and Gregg Waugh will speak about A View from the Wheelhouse. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Feb. 22 — The YRA is hosting a US Sailing Offshore Safety at Sea Seminar at Encinal YC in Alameda. Chuck Hawley will moderate the eight-hour course. Chuck serves as the chairman of the Safety at Sea Committee of US Sailing. He has moderated more than 50 Safety at Sea Courses in the past 20 years.
- Feb. 29 — Boat Buying 101: How to Avoid Costly Mistakes, Oakland YC, Alameda, 3-4 p.m. Free seminar. Space is limited, so pre-registration is required. Go to www.oaklandyachtclub.com. A yacht club open house will follow the seminar from 4 to 6 p.m.
In Washington State
- Feb. 29 — The Cruising Club of America presents a Marine Weather and Sea State II: Analysis and Forecasting Symposium at Seattle YC, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. $175.
- Feb. 29-Mar. 1 — US Sailing International Offshore Safety at Sea Course with Hands-on Training, Bainbridge Island. Or sign up for Sunday only for the Offshore Safety at Sea Hands-on Training only or Safety at Sea Refresher Course. Contact Margaret at (425) 869-2727 or go to www.ussailing.org.
Save the Date
Make a quick flip of your calendar page to Thursday, March 5, and mark down Latitude 38’s Spring Crew List Party at Golden Gate YC in San Francisco, 6-9 p.m. $10 cash at the door ($5 for ages 25 and under with ID). For more info call (415) 383-8200 or see www.latitude38.com.