Among the feature stories in the January issue of Latitude 38 is a Year in Preview. It begins:
Our 2020 dance cards are filling up fast with plenty of regattas and events to keep us busy on waters near and far. (Some of these events even conclude with actual post-sail dancing!)
Here we sample a few top hits from each month, but you’ll find a much more comprehensive list in the 2020 Northern California Sailing Calendar and YRA Master Schedule, published with this January issue on December 30.
- After the holidays, the Corinthian Midwinters serves as a kind of sailors’ reunion, as it draws entries from all over the Bay. A Saturday night raft-up and party add to the conviviality — there might even be some of that aforementioned dancing. January 18-19 and February 15-16; www.cyc.org.
- The most talked-about race in January is the SSS Three Bridge Fiasco, a massive Bay Tour pursuit race for singlehanders and doublehanders. January 25; www.sfbaysss.org.
- Registration is already well underway for the 2020 Pacific Puddle Jump; www.pacificpuddlejump.com.
- Michael Chammout, rear commodore of CYC, says, “I’m hoping to make the SSS Corinthian regatta, hosted at CYC, a bigger affair for the SSS. Maybe a post-race party, dock availability for folks to tie up, a BBQ on the deck, and more hospitality for the race committee.” February 29; www.sfbaysss.org.
- Richmond YC will host their Sail a Small Boat Day, a free event where sailors young and old can try out a wide variety of small boats and watercraft. February 29; www.richmondyc.org.
- Golden Gate YC will again host Latitude 38’s Spring Crew List Party, an evening of meet-and-mingle. March 5; www.latitude38.com/crew-list.
- The action offshore turns to Mexico in March. The San Diego to Puerto Vallarta Race is followed by MEXORC. March 5-13 and March 13-18; www.pvrace.com and www.mexorc.com.mx.
- RYC’s Big Daddy Regatta will race around the drop marks on Saturday, and around a couple of islands on Sunday. March 7-8; www.richmondyc.org.
- The shift to Daylight Saving Time opens the door for Beer Can (weeknight evening) racing. March 8.
- Meanwhile, in the Bay, Oakland YC’s Rites of Spring celebrates the arrival of the eponymous season. March 21; www.oaklandyachtclub.com.
- Oh, wait, you’re still in PV? Then check out the Banderas Bay Regatta, with racing for cruisers. March 24-28; www.banderasbayregatta.com.
- BAMA’s Doublehanded Farallones will launch the S.F. Bay Area ocean season on March 28; www.sfbama.org.
- Look for info about Delta Doo Dah Dozen in March; www.deltadoodah.com.