Labor Day Weekend
Although the Jazz Cup race to Benicia was canceled, several other choices remain on the calendar for Labor Day Weekend in September:
- Humboldt YC’s Redwood Regatta will sail on Big Lagoon on September 3-7.
- Santa Rosa Sailing Club’s Labor Day Invitational Regatta will take to Tomales Bay on September 4-7.
- Port Townsend Sailing Association will host the Thunderbird West Coast Championships on September 5-6.
- Another regatta on Tomales Bay, though on the east shore rather than the west shore, will be Inverness YC’s Hog Island Race on September 6.
- Also on September 6, Santa Cruz YC will put on the Day on the Monterey Bay Regatta, an annual fundraiser for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Santa Cruz County.
Second Weekend of September
The following weekend brings us a couple of three-day events:
Santa Cruz YC will host the Santa Cruz 27 Nationals on September 11-13. (For more on the SC27, see our feature coming out tomorrow in the September issue of Latitude 38.) On the same days, Tahoe YC will host the Tahoe Laser Fleet Championships on Stampede Reservoir, with a Friday afternoon fun sail and races on Saturday and Sunday.
Scheduled races for Saturday, September 12, include the YRA’s rescheduled Encinal Regatta, with a race from Treasure Island out to Point Bonita and a finish at the entrance to the Estuary (sorry, no party at EYC); and the Singlehanded Sailing Society’s Half Moon Bay Race. Both are for doublehanded and singlehanded boats only.
On September 12-13, Richmond YC’s Totally Dinghy Regatta will become the Limited Dinghy Regatta. SCYC will host the Melges 24 fleet for the California Cup. And South Lake Tahoe Windjammers YC will hold their Perpetual Cup.
A new regatta joining the list for September is the Estuary Extravaganza. Island, Encinal and Oakland Yacht Clubs will join forces to present the three-race event on Sunday, September 13. Register before September 8 for the discounted price of $25. Also on September 13, Sequoia YC’s Quarantine Cup series will continue.
Second Half of the Month
The Bay Area Multihull Association rescheduled their 41st annual Doublehanded Farallones Race from March to September 19. (Monohulls welcome too!) On September 19-20, Monterey Peninsula YC will host the Club Laser Championships.
Championships on September 25-27 include the doublehanded Express 27 Invitational (formerly the Nationals), hosted by RYC. And the Melges 14 West Coast Championship hosted by Corinthian YC in Tiburon.
In San Diego
As usual, we’ve only listed a few highlights of the month’s choices. Look for a more extensive Calendar in the September issue of Latitude 38, coming out tomorrow. Also feel free to promote your faves in the Comments section below.