Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Ryan Foland, is joined by Captain Donald Lawson to chat the planning and preparation needed to break some of the most difficult sailing records in the world. Donald is Chairperson of US Sailing’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee and is currently the owner of trimaran Mighty Merloe – on which he’s setting sail to break a number of solo course records.
Hear how to practice your sailing craft, turn difficult passages into enjoyable ones, what you have to do to be considered one of the best, French vs. U.S. sailing culture, and how to choose your own weather on the water. This episode covers everything from breaking sailing records to trimaran life.
Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Has Donald always been competitive?
- How does preparation tie to competitiveness?
- What are records?
- How long has Donald known he’d be going after this record?
- Are there solo records and crew records?
- Do you get a Guinness World Record at the same time as a WSSRC record?
- Why is French sailing culture so prestigious?
- Is there a new record for every type of foil?
Learn more about Donald on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/orma-60-mighty-merloe-visits-san-francisco-bay/
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Captain Donald Lawson on Breaking Records
- [0:21] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:43] Ryan Foland
- [1:07] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:24] Learn more about Donald on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/orma-60-mighty-merloe-visits-san-francisco-bay/?swcfpc=1
- [2:03] What is a story that shaped Donald about sailing?
- [4:04] Has he always been competitive?
- [5:21] How does preparation tie to competitiveness?
- [7:21] How perfect does your practice need to be?
- [10:57] The Karate Kid
- [12:44] Kobe Bryant
- Sailing Records
- [13:08] What are records?
- [14:13] WSSRC (World Sailing Speed Record Council)
- [18:37] How long has Donald known he’d be going after this record?
- [20:00] TransPac
- [20:21] Is Donald talking about the Singlehanded TransPac?
- [21:36] Are there solo records and crew records?
- [22:00] “Episode #23: Dustin Reynolds on Learning to Sail Around the World”
- [22:54] How long is Donald’s boat?
- [24:51] Does he have his Six Sigma Black Belt?
- [27:19] Do you get a Guinness World Record at the same time?
- [28:24] Why is French sailing culture so prestigious?
- [31:00] How do we make sailing more inclusive and diverse?
- [31:34] Michael Jordan
- [33:34] What is Donald’s boat like?
- [36:48] “Episode #35: Dave Bloch on Sailing into the Metaverse”
- [37:04] How do you choose your own weather with a fast boat?
- [39:16] Is there a new record for every type of foil?
- 2022 Summer Sailstice (SS) – June 18, 2022
- [43:56] Summer Sailstice is on June 18, 2022! Sign up & join the fun at www.SummerSailstice.com
- [45:01] What is Summer Sailstice?
- [50:16] What is Donald doing during Summer Sailstice?
- [52:18] How do you become one of the best sailors?
- [53:47] Learn more about Donald on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/orma-60-mighty-merloe-visits-san-francisco-bay/?swcfpc=1
- [56:01] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [56:17] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [56:31] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [56:37] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [56:42] Check out the June 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Captain Donald Lawson & Ryan Foland on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.