Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Ryan Foland, is joined by Dave Bloch to chat sailing in the metaverse – what?!? Dave aka Dale Irata is the creator of the Virtual Summer Sailstice, an annual event running since 2020 that takes place in Second Life.
Hear what it’s like sailing in Second Life, how it can be an educational platform for sailors, how to get started with Second Life, the biggest misconceptions about virtual sailing, and whether you can control which way the wind blows. This episode covers everything from virtual sailing to joining Second Life.
Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What is the metaverse?
- When was Second Life created?
- How much do Second Life boats cost?
- Does training in Second Life help you sail in real life?
- What are the sailing rules in Second Life?
- How do you get started with Second Life?
- Are Second Life properties being sold as NFTs?
- Short Tacks: Will we all be sailing in the metaverse eventually?
Learn more about Dave (and Dale) at SailVirtual.com.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Dave Bloch on Sailing into the Metaverse
- [0:28] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:32] Ryan Foland
- [0:52] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:02] Learn more about Dave (and Dale) at SailVirtual.com
- [1:20] What is Dave’s background?
- [3:28] What is a story that shaped him about sailing?
- [4:58] Is he in a hammock at this moment?
- [6:23] Google
- [6:33] Hammocks from inmates of state prison in Valladolid
- [7:04] What is the metaverse?
- [10:38] Summer Sailstice
- [11:08] Zoom
- [11:53] Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education (VWBPE)
- [12:47] What sailing destinations have been created in Second Life (SL)?
- [14:28] What does “rez” mean?
- [16:14] When was Second Life created?
- [16:24] Facebook
- [17:02] COVID-19
- [17:50] Are Second Life properties being sold as NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens)?
- [18:41] Cryptocurrency
- [20:07] Does training in Second Life help you sail in real life?
- [25:52] How much do Second Life boats cost?
- [26:36] Latitude 38 Classy Classifieds
- [28:18] What are the sailing rules in Second Life?
- [30:32] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- Virtual Summer Sailstice
- [32:32] What is Virtual Summer Sailstice?
- [33:28] Google API
- [34:30] Learn more about Virtual Summer Sailstice at SailVirtual.com
- [36:21] Virtual Boat Show
- [37:26] How do you get started with Second Life?
- [39:04] Does Second Life integrate with Oculus?
- [41:28] How did Dave get started in Second Life?
- Short Tacks
- [43:26] Will we all be sailing in the metaverse eventually?
- [44:02] Smartphone
- [45:17] What is the biggest misconception about virtual sailing?
- [46:02] What is Dave’s favorite part about Summer Sailstice?
- [46:38] Safe Waters Foundation
- [47:48] Can you control which way the wind blows in Second Life?
- [50:12] Learn more about Dave (and Dale) at SailVirtual.com
- [52:16] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [52:22] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [52:30] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [32:36] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [52:48] Check out the April 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Dave Bloch & Ryan Foland on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.