Episode #22: Ashley Perrin on Navigating Icy Waters and Risky Adventures
Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Ashley Perrin to chat her lessons from racing around the world and sailing the coldest parts of the world. Ashley is a professional racer who’s sailed over 130,000 ocean miles and spent 25 years in offshore command. She owns Racing Yacht Management and also serves as an ice pilot and Antarctic expedition officer. Hear how to navigate icebergs, stay safe in risky sailing environments, sail across oceans, doublehanding vs. singlehanding, and stories from diving in Antarctica. This episode covers everything from freezing cold waters to sailing by yourself.
Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How old was Ashley when she started sailing?
- Did her family move to the UK at some point?
- When was the first time she was offshore in command?
- Why does she like doublehanding?
- How did she become an ice pilot?
- Was there ever a time she was really scared on the water?
- How do you anchor around icebergs?
- Short Tacks: Favorite food to eat offshore?
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Read more on Ashley in Lectronic Latitude as she sails aboard Maiden in San Francisco.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Ashley Perrin on Navigating Icy Waters and Risky Adventures
- [0:28] Moe Roddy
- [0:32] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:49] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:17] Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/maiden-departs-greta-thunberg-arrives
- [3:01] What is a story that shaped Ashley about sailing?
- [3:41] How old was she when she started sailing?
- [4:10] What kind of boat was it?
- [4:58] M.B.A. (Masters of Business Administration)
- [5:12] Did Ashley’s father teach her mother how to sail?
- [6:40] Do her siblings sail?
- [7:27] Did her family move to the UK at some point?
- [9:20] Maiden
- [10:12] Tracy Edwards
- [11:52] Lock System
- [12:14] When was the first time Ashley was offshore in command?
- [13:14] Queen’s Barrister
- [13:28] Why does Ashley like doublehanding?
- [16:18] How would you like it if we sent Latitude 38 to your home each month? Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Geography & Oceanography
- [17:06] Why did Ashley study Geography & Oceanography in school?
- [18:48] Was there ever a time she was really scared on the water?
- [21:54] Pan-Pan
- [23:19] Antarctica
- [23:43] Radar, GPS
- [24:31] Night Vision Monocular
- [26:54] Continental Shelf
- [27:37] VHF, MRCC (Marine Rescue Coordination Centre)
- [28:12] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- Ice Piloting
- [28:36] How did Ashley become an ice pilot?
- [29:44] Laos
- [34:08] Commercial Diving, Diving Masters
- [34:42] Monterey Bay
- [35:32] Paramedics Course
- [36:35] How do you anchor around icebergs?
- [38:03] How did Ashley meet Merf Owen?
- [39:20] Ellen MacArthur
- [40:03] How do Ashley & Merf sustain their long-distance relationship?
- [40:13] Facebook
- Short Tacks
- [43:52] What is Ashley’s favorite sailboat make & model?
- [44:42] What is her racing-to-cruising ratio?
- [44:51] What’s the longest voyage she’s been on?
- [45:16] West Coast vs. East Coast vs. UK sailing?
- [45:37] What would Ashley tell women who are hesitant to go sailing?
- [45:48] What’s the most important safety item other than a life jacket?
- [46:36] What’s Ashley’s favorite food to eat offshore?
- [51:22] What’s her favorite sailing book?
- [47:42] Taking the Helm by Dawn Riley
- [47:50] What’s Ashley’s favorite sailing movie?
- [47: 53] Wind
- [48:26] Maiden
- [48:51] What’s the biggest mistake people make in a race?
- [49:50] What final thoughts does Ashley have?
- [51:24] Learn more about Ashley at RacingYachtManagement.com & AntarcticIcePilot.com
- [52:14] Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/maiden-departs-greta-thunberg-arrives
- [52:55] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [53:05] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [53:27] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [53:30] Check out the January 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Ashley Perrin & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.