Skip to content

The Latest from the YRA and More

An Update from the YRA

“The YRA had a meeting with clubs on Sunday. The main topic of discussion was how to ease back into some sort of a racing season once the shelter-in-home orders are lifted,” writes Laura Muñoz, executive director of the Yacht Racing Association of San Francisco Bay. “The YRA is putting together a document with some procedural options, with input from the clubs, that we can use to ensure racing is safe for participants and race committees, and will satisfy the Coast Guard. As far as the Coast Guard is concerned, as long as there are active shelter-in-home orders in place, marine event permits are nullified.”

Check for schedule changes from the YRA at

Island Girl with red spinnaker
The Islander 36 Island Girl flies a kite soon after starting Sausalito YC’s Jaws pursuit race last March. Sailing in the opposite direction is Willow, a Wauquiez Centurion 40s, waiting her turn to start. Jaws is among the races canceled for tomorrow. SYC plans to reschedule it.
© 2020 Latitude 38 Media LLC / Chris

Board Opening at YRA

“On a strictly-YRA note,” continues Laura, “our secretary position is open. If anyone is interested in getting involved with the YRA, they can contact the YRA for more information on the position. Here’s the basic job description we sent out to everyone on Sunday’s call: ‘The Secretary’s main job is help keep track of all YRA-related meetings, proceedings and actions of the board and assist with notification of meetings. They do not need to take minutes at meetings; this is handled by the Executive Director. The secretary also handles any changes or amendments to the Bylaws and serves as Vice Chair of the Board, in the absence or incapacity of the Chair. The Secretary is officially elected by the Board of Directors.”

Find more information about the YRA Board, plus contact information, on page 10 of the Northern California Sailing Calendar.


Vic-Maui’s trustees and committee chairs have canceled due to the pandemic. Hosted by the Royal Vancouver and Lahaina Yacht Clubs, the 2,308-mile biennial race starts off Victoria, BC, and finishes near Lahaina, Maui. The race was to have started on July 13-16. Qualifier races had been canceled last week.

Postponed or Pending

The board of the Singlehanded Sailing Society met on Tuesday to discuss the effects of COVID-19 on club activities. “Because of the Governor of California’s Executive Order to ‘stay at home’ until further notice, the Round the Rocks race that was scheduled for April 11, and associated meetings, have been postponed,” writes the board. “The SSS board is evaluating whether it will be possible to run the race later in the season, and will keep you informed.

“The board is actively monitoring the public health situation in order to assess whether the Singlehanded Farallones race can continue, as planned, on May 16. A decision will be made inside the next few weeks and notice published.

“The running of the 2020 SHTP [Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race] is still under review and a decision will be made in the coming weeks. The board is concerned with the safety of SSS members, as well as other members of the boating community including USCG, fire and rescue, and marina personnel. These are unprecedented times and we extend our thoughts to anyone who has been directly affected by the illness. Keep well and keep flattening the curve.”

The board of the C. Thomas Clagett Jr. Memorial Clinic and Regatta has postponed the 18th Clagett Regatta June 16-21 to September 1-6, 2020. Held in Newport, RI, the Clagett draws disabled sailors from all over the country.

2.4mR fleet start
The 2.4mR class starts the 2019 Clagett.
© 2020 Ro Fernandez / Andes Visual

Standing Pat (for Now)

The Cascade Gorge Racing Association, RS Aero Class and RS Sailing are, so far, sticking to the plan to run the fourth RS Aero World Championship on July 31-August 7. “We have made the decision to extend the early bird entry fee discount to 30th April, with an update to the NoR confirming the details,” says the event website. “We will continue to monitor the situation closely and expect to be able to make a more definitive statement in the next couple of weeks. You may anticipate a further announcement on or before Friday 17th April. At that time, if the decision is made to cancel the event, CGRA will fully refund all entry fees to those who have entered, and RS Sailing will refund charter fees. In the meantime competitors are advised not to incur any non-refundable expenses (travel, accommodation, etc.).”

The CGRA’s season doesn’t open until June 27. “We are taking a ‘wait and see’ position before determining if events will be deferred or canceled. This affects all clinics, regattas and community sailing sessions.”

Leave a Comment

It is a mnemonic that, once known, is impossible to forget. It is the simple expression of an important navigational concept: Red, right, returning.
Latitude 38 Delivered to Your Home
Now offering a Shelter-in-Place special. Three months is just a ‘sip’ of Latitude 38. You can read at home while you sip on whatever you like.