Episode #27: Margie Woods on Conquering Fear on the Water
Margie Woods on Conquering Fear on the Water
Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Ryan Foland, is joined by Margie Woods to chat about getting over your fears and finding that deep trust in yourself, thanks to sailing.
Margie is a lifelong sailor who competed in the 2016 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race. She’s an ASA instructor who’s passionate about supporting women to follow their sailing dreams. Hear how to conquer your fears while sailing, find your inner strength, what you learn from doing the Singlehanded Transpacific Race, how to make friends in sailing communities, and whether it’s okay to talk to dolphins and waves on your voyage.
This episode covers everything from single-handing to making friends on the water.
Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Does Margie challenge herself in life outside of sailing?
- If the waves could talk, what would they say about her experience on the water?
- What would she do differently if she was doing a Singlehanded Transpacific Race now?
- How do you overcome self-doubt and fear on the water?
- What’s stopping more women from getting involved in sailing?
- How do you get involved?
- Do you make friends in these classes?
- Short Tacks: What’s Margie’s cruiser-racer ratio?
Learn more about Margie and connect with her on the Sacred Horizons sailing blog and Instagram.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Margie Woods on Conquering Fear on the Water
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:29] Ryan Foland
- [0:46] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:56] Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/whitall-stokes-departs-solo-circumnavigation/
- [2:04] What is a story that shaped Margie as a sailor?
- [2:21] 2016 Singlehanded Transpacific Race
- [2:46] Santa Barbara Island, Marina del Rey, CA
- [4:28] Did Margie talk to the dolphins?
- [5:08] What inspired this singlehanded trip?
- [6:38] Does Margie challenge herself in life outside of sailing?
- [7:43] If the waves could talk, what would they say about her experience on the water?
[9:31] Episode #22: Ashley Perrin on Navigating Icy Waters and Risky Adventures
- [11:13] What would Margie do differently if she was doing a Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race now?
- [13:05] M&M’s
- [14:48] How would you like it if we sent Latitude 38 to your home each month? Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- ASA Instructing
- [15:32] What’s next in Margie’s journey?
- [16:03] What type of bird would she be?
[17:07] Captain’s License
- [17:22] What is the PSSA (Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association)?
- [17:38] ASA (American Sailing Association)
- [18:50] What’s stopping more women from getting involved in sailing?
- [20:21] How do self-doubt and fear play into things?
[21:38] How do you overcome self-doubt and fear on the water?
- [23:53] How do you get involved?
- [24:09] Women’s Sailing Association of Santa Monica Bay
- [25:50] Basic Keeling Class, US Sailing
- [26:13] Do you make friends in these classes?
- [26:41] Thank you for listening to Good Jibes with Latitude 38! Tell a fellow sailor friend about the podcast
- [26:54] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- Short Tacks
- [27:48] What’s Margie’s favorite make & model?
- [28:19] What’s her cruiser-racer ratio?
- [28:43] What’s her favorite anchorage in the world?
- [29:11] Big Geiger Cove
- [29:28] Blue Water Cruising Club
- [29:47] What would you say to get a power boater to sail?
- [30:15] Grand Banks
- [30:45] At One with the Sea by Naomi James
- [31:18] Godforsaken Sea by Derek Lundy
- [31:40] Around Alone, Adrift
- [32:04] Journey Back to Myself
- [33:04] What final thoughts does Margie have?
- [33:27] Connect with Margie on Instagram @SacredHorizons and SailingHaunani.com
- [34:14] Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/whitall-stokes-departs-solo-circumnavigation/
- [35:01] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [35:25] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [35:39] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [35:45] Check out the February 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
What is Good Jibes with Latitude 38?
Welcome to the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, hear stories and tips from West Coast sailors on the topics of community, cruising, and racing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
How do I subscribe to Latitude 38?
Thanks for listening to Margie Woods & Ryan Foland on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.