Episode #24: Pam Healy on Giving Back to Women Sailors
Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing, and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Pam Healy to chat sharing her world-class sailing knowledge with fellow women sailors. Pam is President of the St. Francis Sailing Foundation and an Advisor to the U.S. Olympic Development Committee. She won a bronze medal at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona.
Hear how to teach other women how to sail, be a calming presence on the water, what it’s like to compete for your country in the Olympics, how to get a foundation as a sailor, and pulling off a “frying pan” in a race. This episode covers everything from freezing the Olympics to teaching sailing. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did Pam get into sailing?
- Were they national champions in college?
- How did she meet Craig?
- When did she know she loved sailing?
- What was it like walking into the opening ceremony?
- How did the end of the regatta go?
- What is the St. Francis Sailing Foundation?
- Short Tacks: What is Pam most proud of?
Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/pamela-healy-discusses-passing-the-torch-to-future-olympians/.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Pam Healy on Giving Back to Women Sailors
- [0:28] Moe Roddy
- [0:31] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:50] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:00] Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/pamela-healy-discusses-passing-the-torch-to-future-olympians/
- [2:09] Where did Pam grow up?
- [2:36] How did she get into sailing?
- [3:20] Ballast
- [3:41] Richmond Yacht Club
- [3:56] John Kostecki
- [4:40] Craig Healy
- [5:00] El Toro Nationals
- [5:41] San Francisco Yacht Club
- [6:02] UC-Irvine
- [6:22] Were they national champions in college?
- [6:54] How did Pam meet Craig?
- [7:52] What is a story that shaped Pam about sailing?
- [8:13] Mount Whitney
- [8:52] Hypothermia
- [9:47] When did Pam know she loved sailing?
- [12:40] What did she sail next?
- [12:58] How would you like it if we sent Latitude 38 to your home each month? Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Sailing in the Olympics
- [13:57] When did she meet JJ Fetter?
[14:45] Were the Olympics on the horizon then?
- [16:27] How did they get the support to do this?
- [16:52] America’s Cup
- [17:22] How was the race when they made the cut?
- [18:23] What was it like walking into the opening ceremony?
- [20:16] How did the end of the regatta go?
- [22:54] Thank you for listening to Good Jibes with Latitude 38! Tell a fellow sailor friend about the podcast
- [23:52] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- Teaching Women Sailors
- [24:06] How did Pam start teaching women sailors?
- [25:06] Facebook Group
- [25:21] Dawn Riley
- [26:42] What is the U.S. Sailing Olympic Development like?
- [29:18] Treasure Island
- [29:41[ What is the St. Francis Sailing Foundation?
- [30:35] Pandemic
- [31:19] St. Francis Yacht Club
- [31:49] Get Your Feet Wet
- [38:31] What else does Pam want to share from her heart?
- Short Tacks
- [40:51] What’s her favorite sailing book?
- [41:02] Sailing For Dummies by JJ Fetter
- [41:22] What is Pam’s favorite sailboat make & model?
- [41:34] What sailor inspires her the most?
- [42:14] What non-sailor inspires her the most?
- [42:51] What’s the most scared she’s ever been on a boat?
- [43:27] What’s the most exciting moment she’s had on a boat?
- [44:42] What’s her favorite place to sail?
- [45:13] What is she most proud of?
- [46:14] What final thoughts does she have?
- [47:22] Learn more at https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/pamela-healy-discusses-passing-the-torch-to-future-olympians/
- [47:28] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [47:35] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [47:39] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [47:46] Check out the January 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Pam Healy & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.