The Delta Doo Dah Kickoff Party will return to Berkeley Yacht Club this year, on Sunday, May 22, from 4 to 7 p.m. Like last year’s, it will be combined with Craig and Ann Perez’s Delta Cruising Seminar. Normally held at Richmond YC, where Craig was commodore last year, the seminar had to move this year as RYC’s clubhouse renovation is not quite complete. BYC graciously stepped in and offered to host the event.
BYC will have casual food available to purchase, something they call ‘linner’. "We will have a $10 pasta bar set up in the bar room: meatballs and spaghetti, mushroom penne pasta, green salad and crusty bread," says BYC manager Mark Sokolov. The bar will be serving reasonably priced drinks. Bring cash. Get directions here. Parking is free.
What’s that funnel for? How can an old foam PFD be repurposed? What’s the best kind of anchor to use in the sloughs? Isn’t the Delta too shallow for deep-keel boats? How can sailors keep their cool in the heat? Explore the answers to these questions and many more at the Delta Cruising Seminar, which is interactive and invites participation from Delta vets — it’s not just for novices. We encourage all Delta Doo Dah entries to attend.
And you must be an official Delta Doo Dah entry to win door prizes! Prizes to be given out at the Kickoff Party include:
- A Marine 200 First Aid Kit from Adventure Medical Kits
- A free weekend at Martinez Marina
- Three pairs of sailing gloves from OPB-YC
- A beautiful canvas tote bag from Owl Harbor Marina filled with goodies including two coffee mugs and two T-shirts in fun colors
- Sailing Alone Around the World, a coffee table-quality hardcover illustrated edition of Joshua Slocum’s classic memoir.
- A couple of surprise theme-related prizes courtesy of Latitude 38
We have a fresh supply of Discover the California Delta booklets to give out from the California Delta Chambers & Visitors Bureau, handy maps made up by Latitude 38, and sample itineraries devised by Craig Perez. We’ll be selling Delta Doo Dah 8 burgees and hats, plus clearance-priced swag from previous years.