We thank Winston Bumpus and the Recreational Boaters of California (RBOC) for helping us all keep an eye on issues affecting sailing and boating on the Bay and Delta. Winston recently wrote, asking us to share the following information and encourage us all to speak up:
RBOC is requesting that boaters take action by December 16 in opposition to the latest draft Delta Conveyance that would negatively impact the ability of the recreational boating public to navigate in the waterways of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.
In summary, the key concerns are:
- Disruption to navigable waters in the Delta for 14 years during construction.
- Does not adequately address climate change and its impacts on decreased snowmelt.
- Unquantified Groundwater Impacts (for Example Table 8.0) non-meaningful LTS – Less Than Significant.
- Does not create any new sources of water.
- Will wreak havoc on the aquatic species, wildlife, inhabitants, recreational users and supporting industries.
For more information, a copy of the letter, a link to the EIR, and a way to contact your legislative representatives, boaters can go to www.rboc.org
We often sail to leave our troubles behind, but without our attention trouble may follow.