Behan and Jamie Gifford of Sailing Totem have been sailing the world’s oceans as a family since 2008 and enjoy sharing their travel adventures afloat and ashore with their community. In this week’s episode of Good Jibes (our 50th by the way), Behan and Jamie talk with host Nicki Bennett about how a sailing sabbatical turned into a lifestyle; how cruising the world changed the way they look at family decisions, strengthening the relationship with their children; what it’s been like “world schooling” their children; and what’s next for them and their boat Totem.
This episode covers everything from raising your kids on a boat to dodging scary weather on the water. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How old were Behan and Jamie’s kids when they set sail?
- Why did they take the sabbatical in the first place?
- How are their relationships with their children today?
- Where is Totem now?
- How has “world schooling” been?
- What’s next for Totem?
- How do Behan and Jamie manage sailing and raising kids full-time?
- Short Tacks: What’s helpful for raising kids on a boat?