Welcome to Good Jibes! This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Bruce Schwab to chat about a lifetime of circumnavigations. In 2005, Bruce became the first American in history to officially finish the Vendée Globe round-the-world yacht race.
Hear about Bruce’s memorable cruising trips as a teen with his father and brothers, how to get started racing, how to achieve your circumnavigation dreams, his biggest sailing projects today, and his hobbies of playing guitar and biking. This episode covers everything from sailing the globe to cruising with your family.
Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Where did Bruce grow up?
- Is he the oldest of his brothers?
- What are Bruce’s favorite memories from the trip?
- When did he start playing guitar?
- What boat did he first take to Hawaii?
- When did he first get interested in racing around the world?
- How do you prepare for the Vendée Globe?
- Short Tacks: What’s Bruce’s advice for singlehanding?