Delta Doo Dah Fun in the Summer Sun
Owl Harbor’s Roaring Day in the Delta
News flash: Due to a wave of COVID infections this event has been postponed. We’ll update you as soon as it has been rescheduled.
On Saturday, July 30, Owl Harbor Marina invites Delta Doo Dah fleet members to join the marina’s tenants for a Roaring Day in the Delta.
The afternoon’s activities will begin with a Dinghy Poker Run. Owl Harbor will award $100 for the best hand and $50 for worst hand. In the afternoon/evening, “We will have (free) gambling and a photo booth, along with delicious food,” says harbormaster Devery Stockon. Dress in your favorite Roaring 20s glam on Saturday night if you like.
Slips at the unique and desirable destination do book up, especially in the larger size ranges. “Reservations are required in advance to secure a spot,” advises Devery, “since we are still getting summer visitors who are securing slips. We currently have some 30-ft, 35-ft and a couple 40-ft slips available.”
Roaring Day on the Delta is open to those with boats in slips only, and party RSVPs are required. Call the marina office at (916) 777-6055 to request a slip as soon as possible, and RSVP for the party by July 23 to [email protected].
Owl Harbor is on Sevenmile Slough, just off the San Joaquin River.
Cruising Seminar Coming to the Delta in August
We’ve set up something special for sailors coming to the August 12-14 cruise-in at Delta Bay Marina: a Delta Doo Dah presentation of the popular cruising seminar, Things to Know Before You Go by Carole and Pat McIntosh.
We recommend this event to this year’s Baja Ha-Ha fleet — those who will be heading down from the cold and wet Pacific Northwest, as well as San Francisco Bay Area sailors looking for a warm shakedown cruise before heading south.
For 10 years prior to COVID-19 and the resulting pause in the Sail America boat shows, Carole and Pat provided sailing seminars that helped literally thousands of sailors prepare to cast off the lines and head to the horizon. You can download a free e-copy of their book ahead of time and ask all the questions you want at the seminar.
Fun, Friends, Food and Info
Save the date for some fun in the Delta and join us at Delta Bay Marina along the San Joaquin River on August 13. Pat and Carole will present their seminar at 3 p.m. Also, on Saturday, we will have our annual BBQ lunch prepared by members of Peninsula Yacht Club. If you are cruising in, the marina has plenty of space. The first 20 Delta Doo Dah boats can reserve a slip for free for the weekend. (We emailed fleet members the link and code to get a slip.) Visitors can also arrive by car via the Delta Loop in Isleton.
The agenda for the weekend looks like this:
Friday, August 12: Optional cruise-in arrival date.
- 10:30 a.m.: Presentation on Clean Boating and the Pumpout App, by S.F. Estuary Partnership and Division of Boating and Waterways.
- 11 a.m.-2 p.m.: BBQ lunch prepared by Peninsula Yacht Club.
- 1 p.m.: Delta history talk by Commodore Bill Wells of the California Delta Chambers.
- 2 p.m.: Harbormaster talk by Delta Bay’s own harbormaster, Eric Chiu.
- 3 p.m.: Things to Know Before You Go talk by veteran cruisers and authors Pat and Carole McIntosh. Their talk may be of special interest to Delta Doo Dah sailors contemplating the Baja Ha-Ha — and vice versa!
- All day: Demos on solar boats, propane outboards, free paddleboard lessons.
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Sunday Market. Fresh produce and farm products, arts and crafts and books for sale, live music, lunch available to purchase.
To participate, please register for the Delta Doo Dah at www.latitude38.com/delta-doo-dah. It’s still free to sign up!
Leave a Comment