Episode #57: Ben Shaw on Launching Out The Gate
This is Episode #57 and we’re casting off with this week’s host, Nicki Bennett, and Ben Shaw, Host of Out The Gate. Out The Gate is a podcast about sailing and adventure on and around San Francisco Bay – and it was a huge inspiration in the creation of Good Jibes.
Ben has been sailing since before he could walk–thanks to his parents who were crossing oceans in small boats back in the 60s and 70s. As a professional journalist, he’s worked as a reporter on Capitol Hill, produced television and radio for National Geographic, and written for multiple sailing rags (including Latitude 38). Ben grew up sailing on the Chesapeake Bay and in his 20’s he refurbished a 1969 Allied Luders 33, Baggywrinkle, that he cruised from the eastern seaboard to South America and back. He’s currently working on refitting Dovka, a Hallberg Rassy 352.
Hear how Ben was introduced to sailing at a very young age, why he decided to start the podcast, what he’s learned doing 100+ episodes of the show, the invaluable sailing community, and his future boat projects and sailing plans with his family.
This episode covers everything from starting a sailing podcast to the best parts about sailing in the Bay Area. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What does Ben do professionally?
- How did he start Out The Gate?
- Does he edit the podcast himself?
- What’s next for Out The Gate?
- Will Ben homeschool his daughters when they set sail?
- Where are he and his family sailing when they take off?
- When did he end up in San Francisco Bay?
- Short Tacks: What’s his favorite upgrade he’s done so far?
Check out Out The Gate wherever you listen to podcasts and learn more at OutTheGateSailing.com and Instagram @OutTheGateSailing.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Ben Shaw on Launching Out The Gate
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:28] Nicki Bennett
- [0:39] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:42] Check out Out The Gate wherever you listen to podcasts and learn more at OutTheGateSailing.com and Instagram @OutTheGateSailing
- [1:23] What’s a story that shaped Ben as a sailor?
- [2:38] “Sid Shaw // Shipwrecked in the South China Sea – Ep. 84”
- [3:04] Dove by Robin Lee Graham with Derek L.T. Gill
- [3:41] Where did Ben grow up?
- [5:27] When did he end up in San Francisco Bay?
- [8:02] What does he do professionally?
- [10:18] “James Frederick // Across the Pacific Without a Rudder – Ep. 102”
- [11:05] How did Ben start Out The Gate?
- [11:38] On the Wind Sailing
- [11:50] “Heather Richard // Winging it to Baja – Ep. 101”
- [12:29] National Geographic (Nat Geo)
- [16:21] “Luc Maheu // Traditions, Tattoos & Tiger – Ep.07”
- [17:03] What has Ben learned in 100+ episodes of Out The Gate?
- [18:55] YouTubers
- [19:52] “Clark Beek // Being Run Over By A Container Ship & Other Adventures – Ep. 56”
- [21:01] Instagram
- [21:47] “John Harries // Lithium Batteries, Small Boats & More”
- [23:01] “Lin Pardey // Stories from a Lifetime of Sailing & Advice for Getting Out There Now – Ep. 79”
- [23:22] “Episode #18: Lin Pardey on Staying Simple and Just Getting Out There”
- [24:47] Does Ben edit the podcast himself?
- [25:46] Single-handed sailing podcast
- [26:43] “John Arndt // 33 Years at Latitude 38 – Ep. 48”
- [28:41] What’s next for Out The Gate?
- [28:45] COVID-19, Zoom
- [30:32] Have you ever done the Ha-Ha? The Baja Ha-Ha is a low pressure, super fun cruising rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas – a great way to kick off the season of cruising and make friends. The 2022 Baja Ha-Ha is 10/31-11/12. Find out more and sign up at Baja-HaHa.com
- Boat Refit
- [31:33] What’s the story behind Ben’s boat refit?
- [34:49] ‘Lectronic Latitude
- [36:53] What’s next for the boat refit?
- [38:34] Will Ben homeschool his daughters when they set sail?
- [45:40] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- [46:41] San Anselmo, CA
- [47:38] Where are Ben and his family sailing when they take off?
- [50:58] Freeport, ME
- [51:30] Social Media
- Short Tacks
- [52:52] What’s Ben’s #1 safety item on the water?
- [54:11] What’s his favorite upgrade he’s done so far?
- [54:55] What’s one upgrade he’s really excited about but hasn’t done yet?
- [55:38] iPhone
- [55:51] What’s Ben’s bucket list sailing destination?
- [56:43] North to the Night by Alvah Simon
- [57:28] What’s Ben’s favorite non-sailing book?
- [58:12] Check out Out The Gate wherever you listen to podcasts and learn more at OutTheGateSailing.com and Instagram @OutTheGateSailing
- [59:14] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [59:24] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [59:33] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [59:39] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [59:45] Check out the September 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Ben Shaw & Nicki Bennett on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.