This is Episode #51 and we’re casting off with Glenn Isaacson, who’s interviewed by fellow sailor & host Moe Roddy to chat how he learned to sail at the age of 10 through a lot of trial and error.
Glenn races the Carl Schumacher-designed 40-ft daysailer Q on San Francisco Bay. Hear his sailing adventures all over the world, setting a record in his Express 37, the story behind Q, designing a boat for older sailors, and his passions outside of sailing.
This episode covers everything from learning to sail to sailing the world. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Would Glenn go to Cape Cod in the summers?
- Did he ever practice law?
- What brought him out to California?
- How many times were he & Gaby class champions?
- How did Q come about?
- What did they invent for Q?
- Is Glenn more of a racer or a cruiser?
- Short Tacks: Where’s his favorite place in the world to sail?
Learn more here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/isaacsons-citizens-of-the-year/.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Glenn Isaacson on Learning to Sail Through Trial and Error
- [0:20] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:33] Moe Roddy
- [0:50] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:02] Learn more here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/isaacsons-citizens-of-the-year/
- [2:14] Where was Glenn born & raised?
- [3:00] Would he go to Cape Cod in the summers?
- [3:24] How did he start sailing as a 10-year-old?
- [5:26] What’s a story that shaped him as a sailor?
- [6:04] What school did he go to in Connecticut?
- [6:39] Where did he go to college?
- [7:06] Did he ever practice law?
- [7:20] What brought him out to California?
- [8:19] Is he more of a racer or a cruiser?
- [9:52] How many times were he & Gaby class champions?
- [11:23] Where did they go next?
- [11:52] How long were they in Switzerland?
- [13:32] How long were they in Atlanta?
- [15:12] Have you ever done the Ha-Ha? The Baja Ha-Ha is a low pressure, super fun cruising rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas – a great way to kick off the season of cruising and make friends. The 2022 Baja Ha-Ha is 10/31-11/12. Find out more and sign up at Baja-HaHa.com
- Express 37 & Q
- [16:14] What brought Glenn to an Express 37?
- [18:25] Carl Schumacher
- [19:34] How did Q come about?
- [21:58] What makes Q so fast?
- [22:40] What did they invent for Q?
- [24:48] Belvedere Cove Foundation
- [25:06] San Francisco Yacht Club (SFYC)
- [25:21] Women’s International Match Racing Association (WIMRA)
- [26:06] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Short Tacks
- [27:08] Summer of the Twelves by Carleton Mitchell
- [28:34] The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- [28:42] COVID-19
- [29:08] Where’s Glenn’s favorite place in the world to sail?
- [29:48] Who’s his favorite person to sail with?
- [31:24] If he could have coffee or wine with anyone, who would it be?
- [32:28] East Coast or West Coast sailing?
- [33:15] What’s Glenn’s biggest sailing lesson?
- [34:52] What final thoughts does he have?
- [35:40] Learn more here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/isaacsons-citizens-of-the-year/
- [35:52] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [35:57] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [36:06] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [36:15] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [36:21] Check out the August 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Glenn Isaacson & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.