This week’s host, Ryan Foland, is joined by Marissa and Chris Neely to chat about living and working on your boat while knocking out endless boat projects.
Marissa and Chris have been crewing together since they were 15 and have made Avocet their home since 2018. Hear what holds us back from what we love to do, what they’ve learned from 4 years rebuilding Avocet, why you shouldn’t be afraid to change plans, their favorite type of sailing content, and their goldfish-turned-cat, Cleo.
This episode covers everything from boat life to cruising to your favorite places in the world. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What got Marissa & Chris into sailing?
- How did they find Avocet?
- What’s their advice for living & working on your boat?
- How did they find their sailing cat, Cleo?
- Where do they see themselves in the coming years?
- Do they enjoy all the work it takes to get out there?
- How often should you get out on the water?
- Short Tacks: What’s Marissa & Chris’s favorite type of sailing content to consume?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Marissa and Chris Neely on Tackling What Holds You Back
- [0:21] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:30] Ryan Foland
- [0:50] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:01] Learn more about Marissa and Chris at SVAvocet.com and YouTube @SailingAvocet
- [1:08] What is Marissa & Chris’s background?
- [2:06] What is a story that shaped them about sailing?
- [6:30] Their YouTube Channel @SailingAvocet
- [7:52] What got them into sailing?
- [8:53] How did they find Avocet?
- [11:52] COVID-19
- [13:32] How often should you get out on the water?
- [17:31] Did Marissa & Chris play sports growing up?
- [18:37] How do they stay connected when on the water?
- [22:00] What’s their advice for living & working on your boat?
- [27:38] Facebook
- [32:00] Summer Sailstice is on June 18, 2022! Sign up & join the fun at www.SummerSailstice.com
- Cruising with Cleo
- [33:14] How did Marissa & Chris find their sailing cat, Cleo?
- [34:48] How is Cleo on the boat?
- [37:12] Where do Marissa & Chris see themselves in the coming years?
- [39:51] Costa Rica
- [41:31] Do Marissa & Chris enjoy all the work it takes to get out there?
- Short Tacks
- [45:13] What is Marissa & Chris’s favorite boat make & model?
- [46:14] What’s their favorite type of sailing content to consume?
- [50:03] Episode #18: Lin Pardey on Staying Simple and Just Getting Out There
- [52:28] Learn more about Marissa and Chris at SVAvocet.com and YouTube @SailingAvocet
- [53:48] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [53:57] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [54:15] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [54:28] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [54:40] Check out the April 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Marissa Neely, Chris Neely, and Ryan Foland on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.