Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Dr. Philip Norris to chat the role sailing’s played throughout his successful medical career. Philip is the Director of Laboratory Science at Vitalant Research Institute (VRI) San Francisco and an Adjunct Professor at the University of California, San Francisco.
His research focuses on how the human immune system responds to viral infections and transfusion. Hear about his summers sailing in Canada as a kid, how he became interested in becoming a doctor, the patients who’ve touched his heart, how to enjoy the journey, and his love for The San Francisco Yacht Club.
This episode covers everything from medical research to watersports. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Where did Philip grow up & start sailing?
- Did he always know he wanted to be a doctor?
- What appealed to him about studying infectious diseases?
- Who’s a patient who’s touched his heart?
- What made him join The San Francisco Yacht Club?
- Who has inspired him in the sailing world?
- Have his daughters participated in a sailing program?
- Short Tacks: What’s the most beautiful place he’s ever been to?
Learn more about Philip at https://research.vitalant.org.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Dr. Philip Norris on Sailing, Research, and Giving Back
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:28] Moe Roddy
- [0:46] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:07] Learn more about Philip at https://research.vitalant.org
- [2:12] Where did Philip grow up & start sailing?
- [3:12] When was his first time on a boat?
- [4:18] What activities did he do on the water?
- [5:02] When was his first time on a sailboat?
- [6:21] What’s a story that shaped him about sailing?
- [7:22] Pier 39, Bay Bridge
- [8:02] Did Philip always know he wanted to be a doctor?
- [8:52] Berkeley Pre-Med, Columbia Medical School
- [9:38] Mass General (Massachusetts General Hospital)
- [9:52] What does Philip focus his research on?
- [10:46] Infectious Disease
- [10:54] HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus)
- [11:32] UCSF (University of California, San Francisco)
- [12:08] CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- [12:52] What appealed to Philip about studying infectious diseases?
- [13:43] Chickenpox, Shingles
- [15:41] Is there a virus Philip finds extra fascinating?
- [16:33] T Cells vs. B Cells
- [17:05] What have the past couple years been like for Philip?
- [22:16] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- Patients Who’ve Touched Philip’s Heart
- [18:32] Who’s a patient who’s touched Philip’s heart?
- [18:47] Duke University
- [21:32] What made Philip join The San Francisco Yacht Club?
- [24:12] Has he ever sailed offshore?
- [24:42] Who has inspired him in the sailing world?
- [25:32] Have his daughters participated in a sailing program?
- [25:52] Episode #22: Ashley Perrin on Navigating Icy Waters and Risky Adventures
- Short Tacks
- [26:38] What’s Philip’s favorite sailboat make & model?
- [26:53] Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana
- [27:31] Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
- [27:42] The Sound of Music
- [28:12] If Philip could have coffee with anyone, who would it be?
- [28:30] What’s his most important safety item?
- [29:04] What’s the most beautiful place he’s ever been to?
- [29:32] How would his friends describe him?
- [30:04] What advice does he have for someone starting their medical career?
- [30:42] What advice does he have for an adult learning to sail?
- [31:21] What question does he wish Moe asked?
- [32:28] COVID-19
- [32:34] Learn more about Philip at https://research.vitalant.org
- [33:22] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [33:32] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [33:38] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [33:42] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [33:58] Check out the May 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Dr. Philip Norris & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.