Episode #36: Eric Jones on Healing through Sailing
Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Nicki Bennett, is joined by Eric Jones to chat the beautiful healing power of spending some time on the water. Eric is a 9/11 first responder who received the Medal of Valor from the Department of Defense for his heroic efforts at the Pentagon and Ground Zero.
In 2019, Eric founded Sea Valor, a nonprofit that uses sailing to help improve the quality of life for those with PTSD, underprivileged youth, and local heroes. Hear why sailing is therapeutic, brings people together, the impact it has on depression and stress, why there’s no shame in experiencing trauma, and success stories from Sea Valor.
This episode covers everything from sailing therapy to starting a nonprofit. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How much did Eric sail when he started Sea Valor?
- What did starting the organization look like?
- How many boats does it have now?
- What impact has it had on the community?
- How is it funded?
- Where do they need volunteers most?
- What are some success stories?
- Short Tacks: What’s Eric’s bucket list sailing trip?
Get involved and give back to Sea Valor at SeaValor.org.
Read about a recent local search and rescue organized by Sea Valor and various supporting agencies. You can find a comprehensive list of local organizations supporting healing through sailing here: www.latitude38.com/feature/heeling-power-sailing/.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Eric Jones on Healing through Sailing
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:29] Nicki Bennett
- [0:41] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:50] Get involved and give back to Sea Valor at SeaValor.org
- [2:20] What is a story that shaped Eric?
- [4:36] PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- [5:07] How much did Eric sail when he started Sea Valor?
- [6:36] What did starting the organization look like?
- [10:28] How many boats does it have now?
- [13:13] What impact has it had on the community?
- [21:50] COVID-19
- [23:02] What does Sea Valor look like now?
- [26:08] Transpac
- [26:57] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- Sea Valor Success Stories
- [27:54] What are some Sea Valor success stories?
- [35:06] Anxiety, Depression
- [36:43] Mental Health
- [38:21] Get involved and give back to Sea Valor at SeaValor.org
- [39:33] How is Sea Valor funded?
- [41:21] Where do they need volunteers most?
- [44:38] Where does Eric see Sea Valor in 5 years?
- Short Tacks
- [52:29] What’s Eric’s #1 safety item?
- [54:38] What’s his bucket list sailing trip?
- [58:42] How do you conquer fear of the ocean?
- [1:00:52] What final thoughts does Eric have?
- [1:02:47] Get involved and give back to Sea Valor at SeaValor.org
- [1:04:36] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [1:04:47] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [1:05:02] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:05:05] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [1:05:12] Check out the April 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Eric Jones & Nicki Bennett on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.