Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing, and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Nicki Bennett, is joined by Olivia Wyatt to chat about finding the beauty in nature and yourself through sailing. Olivia is an award-winning filmmaker, TV producer, writer, and USCG 50-Ton Master certified captain with over 20,000 nautical miles of offshore sailing experience.
Hear how to become more confident as a sailor, sailing can inspire your creative work, the strength of the sailing community, how sailors can make a positive impact on the environment, and what Olivia learned singlehanding from San Diego to Hawaii.
This episode covers everything from nature to healing. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How long did Olivia own a boat before she singlehanded from San Diego to Hawaii?
- What was her biggest lesson on that trip to Hawaii?
- How does filmmaking fit into her life as a sailor?
- What’s the easiest way you can reduce your use of plastic?
- How does being a sailor influence Olivia’s creative work?
- Why are there more singlehanding males than females?
- How has modernization impacted the communities Olivia’s traveled to?
- Short Tacks: What does she keep in her ditch bag?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Olivia Wyatt on Reconnecting With Nature and Yourself Through Sailing
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:26] Nicki Bennett
- [0:29] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:30] Learn more about Olivia at WildernessOfWaves.com and Instagram @WildernessOfWaves
- [4:22] What is a story that shaped Olivia as a sailor?
- [5:22] Sailing Lessons
- [6:34] How long did Olivia sail before she bought a boat?
- [7:24] How long did she own a boat before she singlehanded from San Diego to Hawaii?
- [8:36] America’s Cup
- [10:42] What was Olivia’s biggest lesson on that trip to Hawaii?
- [12:58] How long did that passage take her?
- [13:10] How was her passage to French Polynesia?
- [[13:17] COVID-19
- [14:14] Was Olivia solo on her passage to Fiji?
- [15:57] What’s next for her?
- [16:34] Check out the February 2022 issue of Latitude 38. Subscribe or gift a subscription at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Filmmaking & Community
- [18:05] How does filmmaking fit into Olivia’s life as a sailor?
- [20:10] National Geographic (Nat Geo)
- [20:38] Lin Pardey on Staying Simple and Just Getting Out There
- [21:49] Internet
- [22:18] Does Olivia work from the boat?
- [22:53] How does being a sailor influence her creative work?
- [23:06] Ethiopia, Haiti
- [27:25] How has sailing impacted Olivia’s view of community?
- [28:39] Sea-Steading by Jerome FitzGerald
- [29:11] Technology (Tech)
- [29:34] How has modernization impacted the communities Olivia’s traveled to?
- [32:45] How can sailors make a positive impact on the environment?
- [34:30] What’s the easiest way you can reduce your use of plastic?
- [36:53] What boat does Nicki have?
- [38:34] Why are there more singlehanding males than females?
- [41:03] Self-Love, Self-Confidence
- [43:01] Therapy
- [44:00] Dr. Ramona Probasco
- [46:28] Social Media
- [48:13] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- Short Tacks
- [48:33] What is Olivia’s top piece of safety equipment?
- [48:54] What does she keep in her ditch bag?
- [49:11] What’s her favorite type of sailboat?
- [49:33] Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi
- [51:03] Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Three Stories by Truman Capote
- [52:16] Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- [52:48] What is Olivia’s top thing she can’t sail without?
- [54:13] What’s her favorite upgrade she’s done to her boat?
- [54:35] Learn more about Olivia at WildernessOfWaves.com and Instagram @WildernessOfWaves
- [55:20] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [55:28] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [55:42] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Olivia Wyatt & Nicki Bennett on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.