This week’s host, Ryan Foland, takes us behind-the-scenes to share the sounds of the traditional Labor Day Luau at Big Geiger Cove on Catalina Island. Ryan is the Commodore of the Blue Water Cruising Club (BWCC), and this was the first luau in over a decade.
Hear the history of the luau and Big Geiger Cove, what kinds of foods and drinks are involved, the high-intensity games of horseshoes, battling the wind and fire safety, and mini-interviews with Good Jibes alumni Ron Geiger, Brendan Huffman, Margie Woods, and more.
This episode covers everything from lighting the pit to playing games. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What’s the history of Big Geiger Cove?
- Where did the rocks come from?
- How does the luau work?
- What’s a fire arrester?
- How many boats has Parker created?
- What are the pros & cons of playing horseshoes on rocks?
- How does the pit work?
- Does Peter remember how the rum tastes?
Learn more at BlueWaterCruisingClub.org.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Ryan Foland and the Luau at Big Geiger Cove
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:28] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:31] Ryan Foland
- [0:44] Learn more at BlueWaterCruisingClub.org
- [2:14] Rowing to shore
- [2:45] Episode #30: “Ron Geiger on Sailing to Catalina Island’s Big Geiger Cove and Beyond”
- [3:14] What’s the history of Big Geiger Cove?
- [3:52] Where did the rocks come from?
- [4:22] How does the luau work?
- [5:38] What’s a fire arrester?
- [6:02] What does Dave Binder think of the “Jenga” stack?
- [7:06] Remy on the rocks
- [8:44] Lunch break burgers on Bingo
- [9:44] Holly Scott on the history of the luau
- [11:03] Katie Scott on managing the luau
- [13:02] Happy Hour on Bingo
- [13:34] Check out the Latitude 38 Classy Classifieds at Latitude38.com/Adverts
- [14:40] Coffee on Bingo in the morning
- [15:41] The 12-Volt Bible for Boats by Miner Brotherton & Ed Sherman
- [15:45] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [16:49] NPR
- [17:40] Lighting the pit
- [17:41] Luau Song: Hawaii Ukulele by JOEL LOOPEZ
- [19:17] What kinds of foods are part of the luau?
- [22:28] Parker on creating a boat
- [23:39] How many boats has he created?
- [23:50] Cynthia McKee on the rum punch
- [24:22] Peter on if he remembers how the rum tastes
- [25:48] Board Meeting
- [28:14] Ron Geiger on the history of the luau
- [31:25] You can find your closest Latitude 38 distributor at Latitude38.com/Distribution. Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- [32:14] Horseshoes Game
- [34:21] Alan Willingham on winning the horseshoes tournament
- [35:14] What are the pros & cons of playing horseshoes on rocks?
- [36:34] Who is Keegan?
- [37:12] What was the final score?
- [37:41] Keegan on coming in 2nd place
- [39:11] What did Peter think of the luau weekend?
- [40:03] Episode #27: “Margie Woods on Conquering Fear on the Water”
- [40:30] What does she think about Big Geiger Cove?
- [41:04] Episode #7: “Brendan Huffman on Prepping for a Major Race”
- [41:26] What did breakfast look like on the last day?
- [42:07] How rocky was the water?
- [42:52] Rowing back to Bingo
- [43:22] Learn more at BlueWaterCruisingClub.org
- [43:44] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [44:01] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [44:06] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [44:12] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [44:19] Check out the September 2023 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Ryan Foland & friends on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.