The road to participation in the 73rd Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race (N2E) will begin for many with attending a seminar at yacht clubs throughout Southern California.
Organized and presented by the race managers at Newport Ocean Sailing Association (NOSA), these seminars are intended for new N2E racers and to refresh the memories of race veterans on preparation subjects, such as:
- How to navigate the registration process, such as getting a sail number and a rating certificate.
- Ensuring your compliance with the Notice of Race and the relevant safety standards.
- Preparing for entering and leaving Mexico with permits and other formalities.
- Organizing hotels for your team and dockage for your boats.
And important race-related topics such as:
- Organizing the crew and developing a coherent and successful race plan.
- Specific racing strategy and tactical tips for this race.
- Preparation and storage of equipment on the boat.
- Navigation tips.
- Sail trim guidelines.
- Sailing at night and watch-system options.
- Weather forecast sources and analysis tips.
The series will kick off this week, exactly 100 days before the start of the N2E, with a special presentation by noted offshore yachtsman and America’s Cup veteran John Sangmeister. At Newport Harbor Yacht Club’s Yachtsmen’s Luncheon on Wednesday, January 15, Sangmeister will discuss the significance of this race in attracting all levels of sailors — new and experienced — and how important the race is in keeping Southern California’s offshore sailing scene competitive, fun and safe. This includes course options to finish in Dana Point, San Diego or Ensenada; new class formats introduced to make the race more competitive and fair; and the many fun shoreside activities prior to the start and after the finish.
John will also talk about how the organizers at NOSA have been updating this venerable race with new features to broaden its wide appeal as the most popular international yacht race in North America. The cost for the lunchtime event is $19/person. Make reservations by contacting email@example.com. Sign up now, as space is limited.
- January 23: Pierpont Bay YC, Ventura
- February 13: Bahia Corinthian YC, Corona del Mar
- February 20: Long Beach YC, Long Beach
- February 27: Silver Gate YC, San Diego
- March 26: Del Rey YC, Marina del Rey
- TBD: Dana Point YC, Dana Point
All of these start at 7 p.m., with a social hour at 6 p.m. Food and beverages will be available for purchase. Seminar instructors include Len Bose, Bruce Cooper and Bill Gibbs. Sign-up details for each will be available soon at www.nosa.org/seminars.
“The presenters are experienced and have a wealth of knowledge to share,” said Bill Gibbs, commodore of NOSA. “We hope you take advantage of this by attending one of these seminars. What you learn will help not only improve your results but help to let you better relax and enjoy participating in this great race.”