We’ve probably all made New Year’s resolutions that were eventually broken or forgotten, but that’s no reason not to jot down a list of personal goals for the new year — especially those that might lead you to more time out on the water.
What sorts of sailing goals are we talking about? The possibilities are almost limitless, but a few might include:
• Do at least one weekend getaway outside the Gate to places such as Drake’s Bay, Bodega, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz or Monterey.
• Install all the gear and gadgets that remain in boxes weeks, months or even years after they were purchased.
• Get your boat handicapped and participate in a few local races.
• Make a commitment to race your boat to Hawaii either in the 2017 Transpac, or in the following year’s Pacific Cup or Singlehanded TransPac.
• Take a course to upgrade your offshore sailing skills or get your (USCG) Captain’s License.
• Complete Latitude‘s Beer Can Challenge by sailing in any five consecutive beer can races in one week, Monday-Friday.
If you’ve made some sailing resolutions that are out of the ordinary, we’d love to hear about them. From those of you who write in, we’ll select several suggestions randomly, and reward the senders with some official Latitude 38 swag.