Skip to content

Kiter a World Sailor Nominee

A 17-year-old girl kiteboarder from the Bay Area is up against an international field that includes winners of around-the-world races. They are all among the female nominees for Rolex World Sailor of the Year.

Daniela Moroz is the leading competitor in women’s foiling kiteboarding. She became a first-time world champion in 2016 in the IKA Foiling Formula Kite and successfully defended her title a year later. At this year’s Hempel Sailing World Championships in Aarhus, Denmark, she scored a third successive win. Her dominance at Aarhus was astonishing. Out of 15 races sailed, Moroz won 14, blowing past her rivals with ease to take a convincing gold. At the 2018 European Championships she was just as commanding, winning 13 of 14 races.

Daniela Moroz foiling on her home waters. She kites off Crissy Field in San Francisco. This photo was taken in mid-September.

© 2018 Daniel Forster / Rolex

For the World Sailor award, Daniela has tough competition, particularly from Australian Wendy Tuck, the first woman skipper to win the Clipper Round the World Race on Sanya Serenity Coast, and Carolijn Brouwer (NED) and Marie Riou (FRA), the first women to win the Volvo Ocean Race as crew for Dongfeng Race Team.

The public will have the opportunity to vote online Monday, October 15, until Monday, October 29. The popular vote will contribute 30% of the overall vote, with World Sailing’s Member National Authorities making up the other 70%. Winners will be announced on October 30 at the World Sailing Awards Ceremony in Sarasota, Florida.

Leave a Comment

Sailors, don’t forget that on Sunday, October 21, the Corinthian Yacht Club will be hosting the 13th Annual Leukemia Cup Regatta.
These days online app stores seem to be overflowing with games that encourage players to while away endless hours chasing bad guys and acquiring digital treasure.
The following is Part 1 of a real-life story submitted by longtime reader Charles Thrasher.