This week’s Good Jibes host John Arndt is joined by offshore racer and Naos Yachts founder and CEO Charly Devanneaux to chat about all things racing, cruising, and French sailing. Charly, who’s been sailing his entire life, has posted podium finishes in the Newport-Cabo Race, Transpac, Pacific Cup, ARC, and more.
After Charly Devanneaux’s Beneteau 44 Lenny raced in the 2023 Transpac, the boat is now being delivered from Hawaii to Sydney, via Fiji, with the goal of racing in the 2023 Sydney Hobart Race on December 26. You can follow the delivery here.
This episode covers everything from singlehanding to yacht design. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What kind of boats did Charly sail at first?
- Why did he move to California?
- What’s so great about sailing the Sea of Cortez?
- Is it hard to find French wine in Mexico?
- What race does Charly have next?
- Do Olympic sailors get the same attention in France as offshore sailors?
- How has Charly’s sailing business been?
- Short Tacks: What’s his longest voyage?