Welcome back to Good Jibes! In this week’s episode join host Nicki Bennett as she chats with Ros and Nathan de Vries about building your crew and giving opportunities to new sailors. Ros is the 2022 commodore at Island Yacht Club and frequently races with her husband, Nathan, who picked up sailing after moving from Australia to California.
Hear how to sail and race (and stay together) as a couple, find the right roles for everyone on the boat, establish great communication with your crew, and welcome and connect with those new to the sailing community, and what you can learn from junior sailors.
This episode covers everything from relationship advice on the water to building a dynamic racing crew. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What’s a story that shaped Ros and Nathan about sailing?
- Did they buy the boat in Santa Cruz?
- How did Ros go from sailing to boat ownership?
- What are Ros and Nathan’s thoughts on community?
- How have sailing and boat ownership impacted their relationship?
- What’s helped Island Yacht Club grow?
- How do you sail and stay together as a couple?
- What is Ros and Nathan’s advice for new sailors?
This episode is brought to you by Svendsen’s Bay Marine.
Boat shows are officially back in the Bay Area. Come down to Svendsen’s in Alameda on April 9 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for once-a-year deals from your favorite vendors. Stick around for a DJ, food truck, and a ton of raffle prizes. Get to know your favorite names in the industry and have a great day doing it. Entry and parking are free! Get all the info at svendsens.com/boatshow2022. We hope to see you there!