This week’s host, Nicki Bennett, is joined by James Frederick to chat getting hooked on sailing and never looking back. James is a solo sailor who is currently circumnavigating onboard his 1965 Alberg 30 Sloop Triteia. His cruising is fully funded through weekly videos to his YouTube channel and the support of his patrons.
Hear how to make sailing your art, start a YouTube channel for your sailing memories, fall in love with your boat, the gnarliest days James has had on the water, and how to overcome heartbreak at sea.
This episode covers everything from creating a sailing YouTube channel to romance on the water. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did James get into sailing?
- Where did he grow up?
- How did he buy Triteia?
- What has he been up to since he left Hawaii?
- Where is he now?
- How is sailing in New Zealand?
- What kind of art did James do?
- Short Tacks: Where is James’s dream passage?
This episode is brought to you by EWOL propellers. Learn more at EWOLTech.com
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- James Frederick on Finding Peace at Sea
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:33] Nicki Bennett
- [0:35] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:42] Learn more about James on YouTube @SailorJames, Instagram @James.The.Sailor.Man, and at SVTriteia.com
- [1:22] What’s a story that shaped him as a sailor?
- [6:28] How did he get more into sailing?
- [9:18] Where did he grow up?
- [10:12] How did he buy Triteia?
- [11:08] Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere by John Vigor
- [11:30] Craigslist
- [19:50] How was James’s 1st attempt from LA?
- [27:42] How was it troubleshooting on the water by yourself?
- [29:05] How long did it take him to get back to shore?
- [30:14] This episode is brought to you by EWOL propellers. Learn more at EWOLTech.com
- [31:12] What has James been up to since he left Hawaii?
- [39:22] Where is he now?
- [40:38] How is sailing in New Zealand?
- [42:12] Episode #77: “Lin Pardey on Storytelling for Sailors”
- [43:34] How did James start sharing his journey on YouTube?
- [48:51] Pandemic
- [49:08] How many subscribers does James have now?
- [49:42] Patreon
- [53:39] This episode is brought to you by EWOL propellers. Learn more at EWOLTech.com
- [54:22] How do you make sailing your art?
- [55:22] What kind of art did James do?
- [1:02:40] How do you deal with heartbreak on the water?
- [1:09:48] What’s next for James & Triteia?
- Short Tacks
- [1:12:55] What’s the most important safety item on the water?
- [1:13:12] What’s James’s favorite non-sailing item?
- [1:13:28] What’s his favorite upgrade?
- [1:14:02] Men Against the Sea by Charles Nordhoff & James Norman Hall
- [1:14:38] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [1:14:53] Where is James’s dream passage?
- [1:15:48] Learn more about James on YouTube @SailorJames, Instagram @James.The.Sailor.Man, and at SVTriteia.com
- [1:18:40] What final thoughts does James have?
- [1:20:00] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [1:20:04] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [1:20:09] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:20:19] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [1:20:23] Check out the June 2023 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to James Frederick & Nicki Bennett on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.This episode is brought to you by EWOL propellers. Learn more at EWOLTech.com