This week’s host, John Arndt, is joined by John Burnham to chat where sailing meets writing. John Burnham is a leadership coach, content creator, and champion sailor. He’s served as Editor of Sailing World and Cruising World magazines, several top sailing websites, and manages content for several marine and coaching organizations.
Hear how to become a sailing writer, the differences between West Coast and East Coast sailing, John’s favorite races, stories from working with Rob Moore, and how to push yourself to be uncomfortable.
This episode covers everything from magazine editing to sailing with dolphins. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Why did John start writing about sailing?
- What got him interested in West Coast sailing?
- How do the East Coast and West Coast sailing communities compare?
- What boats does John find most interesting?
- How is sailing in Narragansett Bay?
- What are John’s best memories of Rob Moore?
- How is it working with the CCA?
- Short Tacks: Why should people sail?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- John Burnham on Telling Sailing Stories
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:26] John Arndt
- [0:44] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:54] Learn more about John Burnham at JohnSBurnham.com and on LinkedIn
- [1:56] What’s a story that shaped him as a sailor?
- [2:34] SORC (Southern Ocean Racing Conference)
- [7:27] Why did John start writing about sailing?
- [9:24] How did he get into sailing?
- [12:02] What did he race in high school?
- [12:48] What got him interested in West Coast sailing?
- [14:04] Rolex Big Boat Series
- [19:04] iPhone
- [22:33] Sign up for Summer Sailstice at SummerSailstice.com
- East Coast vs. West Coast Sailing
- [23:01] What did John think about California boats showing up on the East Coast?
- [27:28] What boats does he find most interesting?
- [28:28] What’s the difference between East Coast and West Coast sailing?
- [29:42] Narragansett Bay
- [32:08] What are John’s best memories of Rob Moore?
- [32:56] Mystic, CT
- [38:01] What’s next for John in the sailing world?
- [39:39] What does he do for the Cruising Club of America (CCA)?
- [41:21] Content Marketing
- [43:49] How do the East Coast and West Coast sailing communities compare?
- [46:27] Subscribe to Latitude 38 Sailing Magazine at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Short Tacks
- [47:20] What is John’s dream boat?
- [48:12] What’s his dream voyage?
- [48:57] What’s a bucket list race for him?
- [50:03] What’s his longest voyage?
- [51:15] What’s the most important piece of safety equipment on the water?
- [52:47] Why should people sail?
- [53:17] Dorade: The History of an Ocean Racing Yacht by Douglas Adkins, In the Hurricane’s Eye: The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown by Nathaniel Philbrick, Sea of Glory: America’s Voyage of Discovery, The U.S. Exploring Expedition, 1838-1842 by Nathaniel Philbrick
- [55:54] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [56:04] What final thoughts does John have?
- [57:57] Learn more about John Burnham at JohnSBurnham.com and on LinkedIn
- [58:07] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [58:14] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [58:23] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [58:27] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [58:30] Check out the May 2023 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
What is Good Jibes with Latitude 38?
Welcome to the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, hear stories and tips from West Coast sailors on the topics of community, cruising, and racing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
How do I subscribe to Latitude 38?
Thanks for listening to John Burnham & John Arndt on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.