Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing This week’s host, Ross Tibbits, is joined by Milly Biller to chat sailing on International 110s since childhood.
Milly is the Port Captain of the Inverness Yacht Club and has been sailing for 65 years. Hear her stories from growing up with sailing parents, her passion behind the 110, crafting her woodworking and boat-making skills, sailing with literal butterflies, and how to always be there for fellow sailors.
This episode covers everything from 110s to woodworking. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What brought Milly to sail in Tomales Bay?
- How often did her parents sail?
- When did she buy her dad’s 110?
- What is the 110?
- How big is the fleet?
- What mentors were prominent in Milly’s life?
- How did she end up living in some of the world’s most exotic cities?
- Short Tacks: What is the R2AK race?
Learn more about the Inverness Yacht Club at https://www.invernessyachtclub.com/.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Milly Biller on Lifelong 110 Sailing
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:28] Ross Tibbits
- [0:46] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:01] Learn more about the Inverness Yacht Club at https://www.invernessyachtclub.com/
- [1:53] What’s a story that shaped Milly as a sailor?
- [2:17] 110
- [2:52] When did that happen?
- [3:38] What brought Milly to sail in Tomales Bay?
- [4:38] How often did her parents sail?
- [4:51] Cal Berkeley
- [7:05] When did Milly buy her dad’s 110?
- [8:09] What is the 110?
- [9:17] Inverness Yacht Club
- [10:11] 110 Nationals
- [13:38] How big is the fleet?
- [14:41] Imagine being the proud owner of a brand new yacht – and sailing the world in exotic destinations with other charter guests paying the bill for you. It’s possible with Dream Yacht Charter – and much more affordable than you might expect. Choose from our world-class yacht brands and have your operating expenses covered, including dockage, insurance, maintenance, and more. Plus, charter for up to 12 weeks a year in 45+ amazing destinations. And, receive monthly checks to help offset your boat payments. Become a yacht owner and sail the world with Dream Yacht
- Inverness Yacht Club
- [15:28] What mentors were prominent in Milly’s life?
- [15:48] Random House
- [16:38] How did Milly end up living in some of the world’s most exotic cities?
- [18:25] Did she always want to sail in the Bay area?
- [19:09] How has her interest in the water shaped her professional career?
- [21:32] Where does she get her passion for the Inverness Yacht Club?
- [24:20] Pandemic
- [26:25] What experiences has Milly had with other women sailors?
- [29:24] If you’re looking to purchase a new catamaran or monohull, Dream Yacht can help. We represent many world-class yacht brands that are available to buy through ownership programs in 45+ locations around the world – or through private ownership. Let our expert brokers help you navigate the purchase process. Visit Dream Yacht Sales to get in touch
- Short Tacks
- [30:02] Double-Ender or Traditional Transom?
- [30:22] Botanical Garden or Museum?
- [30:40] Three Bridge Fiasco
- [30:53] Alexander von Humboldt
- [32:32] Charles Darwin
- [32:42] The Invention of Nature by Andrea Wulf
- [32:56] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [33:02] Kilkenny Beach
- [33:44] Windjammer, Nat and the Seven Dudes
- [34:18] What is the R2AK race (Race to Alaska)?
- [35:06] What is the Hunt 225?
- [35:47] What’s Milly’s most important safety device?
- [36:03] What’s #1 thing not to do when sailing?
- [36:42] Learn more about the Inverness Yacht Club at https://www.invernessyachtclub.com/
- [53:35] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [53:42] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [53:48] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [53:50] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [37:06] Check out the January 2023 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
What is Good Jibes with Latitude 38?
Welcome to the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, hear stories and tips from West Coast sailors on the topics of community, cruising, and racing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
How do I subscribe to Latitude 38?
Thanks for listening to Milly Biller & Ross Tibbits on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.