Episode #66: Dustin Dye on Close Calls on the Water
This week’s host, Ryan Foland, is joined by Dustin Dye to chat all sorts of first experiences at sea. Dustin is the Co-Founder and CEO of Botcopy and is a die-hard fan of being on the water.
Hear how sailing on lakes differs from sailing on oceans, how to become more confident as a sailor, be honest with yourself, learn to tie different knots, and some literal good jibes.
This episode covers everything from stress to fun on the water. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Where did Dustin learn to sail?
- What kind of boats did he start on?
- Why does he enjoy sailing?
- If he had a boat, what kind of boat would it be?
- How was his racing experience with Ryan?
- Is Dustin more of a racer or a cruiser?
- What knots can he tie?
- How did the close calls inspire him?
Learn more about Dustin at Botcopy.com.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Dustin Dye on Close Calls on the Water
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:31] Ryan Foland
- [0:52] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:11] Learn more about Dustin at Botcopy.com
- [2:38] Where did he learn to sail?
- [3:12] What kind of boats did he start on?
- [3:40] Lake Michigan
- [6:54] Why does Dustin enjoy sailing?
- [8:37] What’s a story that’s shaped him about sailing?
- [9:16] Pandemic
- [11:21] Marina del Rey, CA
- [14:12] Anxiety Attack
- [16:38] Jetty
- [19:18] Who was steering?
- [25:29] What happened with the captain afterwards?
- [26:55] How did this experience inspire Dustin?
- [30:19] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Falling Overboard & Racing
- [31:09] If Dustin had a boat, what kind of boat would it be?
- [34:48] How was his racing experience with Ryan?
- [36:43] Is he more of a racer or a cruiser?
- [36:54] What’s his biggest fear on the water?
- [37:29] What does he want to do next on the water?
- [38:40] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- [39:40] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [39:45] Learn more about Dustin at Botcopy.com
- [41:01] What knots can Dustin tie?
- [41:40] What final thoughts does he have?
- [43:22] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [43:33] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [43:42] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [44:14] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [44:34] Check out the November 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Dustin Dye & Ryan Foland on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.