This week’s host, Ryan Foland, is joined by Dustin Dye to chat all sorts of first experiences at sea. Dustin is the Co-Founder and CEO of Botcopy and is a die-hard fan of being on the water.
Hear how sailing on lakes differs from sailing on oceans, how to become more confident as a sailor, be honest with yourself, learn to tie different knots, and some literal good jibes.
This episode covers everything from stress to fun on the water. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Where did Dustin learn to sail?
- What kind of boats did he start on?
- Why does he enjoy sailing?
- If he had a boat, what kind of boat would it be?
- How was his racing experience with Ryan?
- Is Dustin more of a racer or a cruiser?
- What knots can he tie?
- How did the close calls inspire him?
Learn more about Dustin at Botcopy.com.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Dustin Dye on Close Calls on the Water
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:31] Ryan Foland
- [0:52] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:11] Learn more about Dustin at Botcopy.com
- [2:38] Where did he learn to sail?
- [3:12] What kind of boats did he start on?
- [3:40] Lake Michigan
- [6:54] Why does Dustin enjoy sailing?
- [8:37] What’s a story that’s shaped him about sailing?
- [9:16] Pandemic
- [11:21] Marina del Rey, CA
- [14:12] Anxiety Attack
- [16:38] Jetty
- [19:18] Who was steering?
- [25:29] What happened with the captain afterwards?
- [26:55] How did this experience inspire Dustin?
- [30:19] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Falling Overboard & Racing
- [31:09] If Dustin had a boat, what kind of boat would it be?
- [34:48] How was his racing experience with Ryan?
- [36:43] Is he more of a racer or a cruiser?
- [36:54] What’s his biggest fear on the water?
- [37:29] What does he want to do next on the water?
- [38:40] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- [39:40] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [39:45] Learn more about Dustin at Botcopy.com
- [41:01] What knots can Dustin tie?
- [41:40] What final thoughts does he have?
- [43:22] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [43:33] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [43:42] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [44:14] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [44:34] Check out the November 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Dustin Dye & Ryan Foland on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.