This is Episode #56 and we’re casting off with Chris Otorowski, who’s interviewed by fellow sailor & host Moe Roddy to chat about his adventures around the world by sea. Chris is the 2022 Commodore of the Cruising Club of America (CCA). He’s a seasoned offshore racer and cruiser with thousands and thousands of miles under his belt.
Hear the amazing people you meet through sailing, the time he lost his rudder halfway to Hawaii, surviving 40-foot waves, the history of the CCA, and his favorite islands to explore in the Mediterranean.
This episode covers everything from balancing work and sailing to troubleshooting while racing. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- When was the first time Chris raced?
- How long has he been practicing law?
- Where did the name Rocket J. Squirrel come from?
- How do you become a member of the Storm Trysail Club?
- What is the CCA doing to celebrate their 100th anniversary?
- When did Chris settle in Washington?
- What brought him to the West Coast?
- Short Tacks: Where’s his favorite place in the world to sail?
Learn more at CruisingClub.org.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Chris Otorowski on Sailing through Life
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:28] Moe Roddy
- [0:49] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:02] Learn more at CruisingClub.org
- [1:56] Where did Chris grow up?
- [2:19] When was the first time he was on a boat?
- [2:47] Did he come up in a junior sailing program?
- [3:45] When was the first time he raced?
- [4:15] What brought him to the West Coast?
- [4:46] How long has he been practicing law?
- [4:53] What type of law does he practice?
- [5:08] When did he settle in Washington?
- [7:07] Vancouver Island
- [7:52] How did Chris lose his rudder halfway to Hawaii?
- [8:48] Coast Guard
- [9:15] Where was Chris when he lost his rudder?
- [10:52] Where did the name Rocket J. Squirrel come from?
- [11:29] Where has Chris cruised?
- [12:39] Where has he cruised in the Caribbean?
- [13:29] When did he buy Splash Tango?
- [16:24] Where has he cruised on Aphrodite?
- [18:26] Have you ever done the Ha-Ha? The Baja Ha-Ha is a low pressure, super fun cruising rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas – a great way to kick off the season of cruising and make friends. The 2022 Baja Ha-Ha is 10/31-11/12. Find out more and sign up at Baja-HaHa.com
- Cruising Club of America (CCA)
- [19:32] Seattle Yacht Club
- [20:55] How do you become a member of the Storm Trysail Club?
- [23:06] What is the Cruising Club of America (CCA)?
- [25:48] What is the CCA doing to celebrate their 100th anniversary?
- [27:16] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Short Tacks
- [28:06] Sail Power by Wallace Ross
- [29:21] Endurance by Alfred Lansing
- [30:08] Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana
- [30:49] Dana Point
- [31:02] What’s the most important lesson Chris has learned in his professional career?
- [31:19] What’s the most important lesson he has learned in his sailing career?
- [31:45] Who has inspired him the most in his life?
- [32:33] Where’s his favorite place in the world to sail?
- [33:39] What’s it like to cruise in the Balearics?
- [37:34] What is the one question Chris wishes Moe asked?
- [38:10] What final thoughts does he have?
- [39:49] Learn more at CruisingClub.org
- [40:00] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [40:04] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [40:07] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [40:09] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [40:14] Check out the September 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Chris Otorowski & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.