Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Kimberly Paternoster and David Parker to chat their shared love of music, cooking, and cruising the world together. Kimberly has been sailing since she bought her first boat in 2003 and is said to be the only woman who’s ever righted an AC45. David has raced for over 25 years, including winning the Rolex Big Boat Series multiple times and 2 podium finishes in the Pacific Cup.
Hear what it takes to live full-time on your boat, how to work from anywhere while cruising, sailing lessons they learned from cooking and music, the boats they love the most, and where they’re off to next. This episode covers everything from finding your sailing soulmate to racing tips.
Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did Kimberly & David meet?
- Where did they study music?
- What did Kimberly do in the Pac Cup?
- How did Kimberly & David make their decision to cruise full time?
- Where are they off to first?
- What do they do in their sailing community today?
- Did Kimberly used to ride a hot rod motorcycle?
- Short Tacks: What advice do Kimberly & David have for dropping everything and going cruising?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Kimberly Paternoster and David Parker on Cruising in Tune Together
- [0:20] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:27] Moe Roddy
- [0:47] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:59] Learn more about Kimberly and David at SVPrudence.com, WickedCode.com, and TheParkerApproach.com
- [1:46] Where did Kimberly grow up?
- [2:18] When was the first time David was on a boat?
- [3:49] How did Kimberly & David meet?
- [4:48] Match.com
- [5:06] Where did Kimberly & David study music?
- [5:50] Did David ever perform professionally?
- [7:08] How did he transition from music to sailing?
- [8:27] How big was the schooner?
- [8:46] How did Kimberly get into cruising?
- [11:07] What did she do in the Pac Cup (Pacific Cup)?
- [11:42] Did she used to ride a hot rod motorcycle?
- [12:49] What made her go to Austin then come back to Silicon Valley?
- [14:18] What brought David to the West Coast?
- Cruising Together
- [15:20] How did Kimberly & David make their decision to cruise full time?
- [16:07] Pandemic
- [19:11] What is Kimberly & David’s new boat?
- [20:21] Are they living aboard full time?
- [21:54] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- [22:42] How did Kimberly & David buy their barge in Amsterdam?
- [24:06] Where are they off to first?
- [24:47] Why Alaska?
- [25:14] Where will Kimberly & David go after Alaska?
- [26:27] What do Kimberly & David do in their sailing community today?
- [29:28] What does Kimberly do in the sailing community?
- Short Tacks
- [30:28] In Harm’s Way by Doug Stanton, The Long Way by Bernard Moitessier, Survive the Savage Sea by Dougal Robertson
- [31:28] Adrift by Steven Callahan, Big Book of Crosswords 8 by Collins Puzzles, Fifth Business by Robertson Davies
- [32:54] What are Kimberly & David’s favorite meals to cook on the boat?
- [34:08] Who would they spend half an hour with if it could be anyone on the planet?
- [35:52] Who’s inspired them the most in their life?
- [39:08] Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg
- [39:42] Mozart, Bach
- [41:04] What advice do Kimberly & David have for dropping everything and going cruising?
- [43:52] Learn more about Kimberly and David at SVPrudence.com, WickedCode.com, and TheParkerApproach.com
- [45:01] What final thoughts do they have?
- [46:07] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [46:11] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [46:15] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [46:19] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [46:24] Check out the June 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Kimberly Paternoster, David Parker, and Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.