Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Chris Weaver, is joined by Ryan Finn after he completed the arduous solo passage from New York to San Francisco around Cape Horn. Yes, that’s what people consider “the wrong way,” and he did it aboard his 36-foot proa, Jzerro.
Hear why he did the trip, when he considered backing out, the turning point, what he missed the most at sea, and what it felt like to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge and arrive in San Francisco.
This episode covers everything from Cape Horn to the Bay Area. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What is a good sea story from Ryan’s voyage?
- Which came first: the boat, or the idea to do the trip?
- How unique is the voyage Ryan completed?
- Where did he buy Jzerro and how much sailing did he do before the voyage?
- When did Russell Brown design the boat?
- How was Ryan’s first attempt around Cape Horn?
- What were the high points and challenges on the voyage around South America?
- When did Ryan start sailing when he was younger?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Ryan Finn on Battling Storms and Cape Horn
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:27] Ryan Foland
- [0:33] Christine Weaver (Chris)
- [0:49] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:00] Learn more about Ryan on Facebook and Instagram @2Oceans1Rock
- [2:12] What is a good sea story from Ryan’s voyage?
- [5:43] What was his top speed during the trip?
- [6:29] Which came first: the boat, or the idea to do the trip?
- [8:36] How unique is the voyage Ryan completed?
- [9:21] Where did he buy Jzerro and how much sailing did he do before the voyage?
- [10:01] When did Russell Brown design the boat?
- [10:23] How was Ryan’s first attempt around Cape Horn?
- [13:19] When did he leave for this 2nd attempt?
- [15:31] What were the high points and challenges on the voyage around South America?
- [21:15] Summer Sailstice is on June 18, 2022! Sign up & join the fun at www.SummerSailstice.com
- Ryan’s Return
- [21:57] How were Ryan’s stops on the Atlantic side?
- [24:26] Commanders’ Routing Service
- [24:44] What did it feel like to arrive under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco?
- [26:08] What was the first thing Ryan did when he arrived at the yacht club?
- [26:17] COVID-19
- [26:51] What did Ryan miss most at sea?
- [27:35] What’s the future for Ryan and Jzerro?
- [29:40] When did Ryan start sailing when he was younger?
- [30:51] Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- [31:24] How was the Singlehanded TransPac?
- [31:57] Who filmed Ryan’s journey?
- [33:37] Learn more about Ryan on Facebook and Instagram @2Oceans1Rock
- [34:59] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [35:06] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [35:17] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [35:21] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [35:28] Check out the June 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Ryan Finn & Chris Weaver on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.