Episode #38: At the Helm with Peter Isler
Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, John Arndt, is joined by Peter Isler to chat his lifetime of racing and giving back to the sailing community, plus his life-changing scare on Rambler 100. Peter is a 2-time America’s Cup winner, was Collegiate Sailor of the Year at Yale University, Founder of the American Sailing Association, author, and speaker.
He almost lost his life in 2011 when Rambler 100 lost its keel and capsized during the Fastnet Race. Hear his thoughts on modern-day racing, competing in the America’s Cup aboard Stars and Stripes, what helped him survive the Rambler 100 incident, why he enjoys teaching about sailing and the weather so much, and the time he met 3 Presidents in 3 days.
This episode covers everything from winning to teaching. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did Peter become an All-American at Yale?
- What did he think he’d be doing after school?
- How did the Rambler 100 incident change his life?
- Where was he during the incident?
- How did he find his passion for sailing?
- Why does he enjoy teaching?
- What made him write a business book about sailing?
- Short Tacks: What does he do when not sailing or racing?
Take Peter’s weather course at https://academy.islersailing.com/p/marineweatheru and learn more on Facebook @IslerBlueBook.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- At the Helm with Peter Isler
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:38] John Arndt
- [0:44] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:55] Take Peter’s weather course at https://academy.islersailing.com/p/marineweatheru and learn more on Facebook @IslerBlueBook
- [2:12] What is a story that shaped Peter about sailing?
- [2:42] America’s Cup
- [3:27] Ted Turner
- [6:00] How did Peter become an All-American at Yale?
- [8:02] How did he find his passion for sailing?
- [8:43] Long Island Sound
- [9:18] Yale Sailing Center
- [10:41] What did Peter think he’d be doing after school?
- [12:33] Stars & Stripes
- [12:41] How did Peter get involved in the America’s Cup?
- [15:18] Jimmy Buffett
- [16:48] TikTok, Sports Illustrated, Influencer
- [17:08] Does Peter listen to music while sailing?
- [19:16] Thank you for listening to Good Jibes with Latitude 38! Tell a fellow sailor friend about the podcast and check out any issue going back to 1977
- Rambler 100 Incident
- [20:48] Does Peter prefer buoy racing or ocean racing?
- [22:52] How did the Rambler 100 incident change his life?
- [23:58] Where was he during the incident?
- [25:56] Safety at Sea Course
- Teaching Sailing
- [27:47] Why does Peter enjoy teaching?
- [28:00] Sailing For Dummies by JJ Isler & Peter Isler
- [29:52] At the Helm by Peter Isler
- [30:14] What made Peter write a business book about sailing?
- [30:59] “Roy P. Disney on His Favorite Races and Sailing Idols”
- [32:12] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- Short Tacks
- [32:36] What is Peter’s favorite boat?
- [33:19] What does he do when not sailing or racing?
- [34:22] Grateful Dead
- [34:54] Does Peter ever go cruising?
- [35:20] What’s his favorite racing venue?
- [35:47] What’s his favorite part of sailing?
- [36:52] How did he start teaching weather classes?
- [39:22] Expert Dinghy and Keelboat Racing by Paul Elvstrom, Master & Commander by Patrick O’Brian, The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers
- [40:23] Take Peter’s weather course at https://academy.islersailing.com/p/marineweatheru and learn more on Facebook @IslerBlueBook
- [42:51] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [43:12] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [43:21] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [43:24] Check out the May 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Peter Isler & John Arndt on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.