Mike Martin on Enjoying Sailing, 505s, and Kite Foiling
Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Mike Martin to chat finding what you love on the water and winning at the highest level. Mike is a Rolex Yachtsman of the Year who’s been a 505 Champion many times over – including North American and World Championships.
He’s since transitioned into kite foil racing. Hear how to find what type of sailing you truly enjoy, what’s special about the 505, whether winning championships ever gets old, the excitement around kite foiling, and his favorite places in the world to sail. This episode covers everything from championships to learning to kite foil.
Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How old was Mike the first time he went sailing?
- Who influenced him the most in college?
- Does his engineering background translate to sailing?
- What’s special about the 505?
- Does winning championships ever get old?
- What’s Mike’s training regimen?
- How did he get into kite foiling?
- Short Tacks: What is he most proud of as a sailor?
Learn more about Mike here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/505s-kite-foiling-mike-martin-embraces-speed/.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Mike Martin on Enjoying Sailing, 505s, and Kite Foiling
- [0:28] Moe Roddy
- [0:32] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:48] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:00] Learn more about Mike here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/505s-kite-foiling-mike-martin-embraces-speed/
- [2:49] Where was Mike born & raised?
- [3:19] How old was he the first time he went sailing?
- [5:01] What sports did he play growing up?
- [6:18] How did he get into sailing?
- [6:50] Did he get recruited to Old Dominion University (ODU)?
- [7:57] Terry Hutchinson
- [8:15] Who influenced Mike the most in college?
- [10:24] How did he find time for classes?
- [11:01] What kind of engineer is he?
- [11:27] Does his engineering background translate to sailing?
- [12:08] What’s something about him most people don’t know?
- [12:51] What’s a story that shaped him?
- [14:18] Where did he meet Stephanie?
- [16:29] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- [17:21] How would you like it if we sent Latitude 38 to your home each month? Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- 505s & Kite Foiling
- [17:42] What’s special about the 505?
- [18:42] How long’s it been around & who designed it?
- [19:37] Does winning championships ever get old?
- [20:56] Are there more difficult expectations now?
- [21:30] What’s Mike’s training regimen?
- [23:07] How did he get into kite foiling?
- [23:58] Moth Sailing
- [26:20] What does it feel like to kite foil?
- [27:28] How did Mike get his role at the America’s Cup?
- [28:37] Iain Murray
- [31:47] Where did the red & green lights come from in the America’s Cup?
- [32:25] GPS (Global Positioning System)
- [35:16] St. Francis Sailing Foundation
- [35:34] What else is Mike involved in?
- [36:58] Thank you for listening to Good Jibes with Latitude 38! Tell a fellow sailor friend about the podcast
- [37:12] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- Short Tacks
- [37:24] Aero-Hydrodynamics of Sailing by Czeslaw A. Marchaj
- [38:46] Theory of Wing Sections by Ira H. Abbott & Albert E. von Doenhoff
- [40:02] What’s Mike’s favorite food to eat while training?
- [40:48] Gatorade
- [41:32] If Mike could sit down with anyone, who would it be?
- [42:11] Where is his favorite place to sail in the world?
- [43:02] Pete Melvin
- [44:04] What’s Mike’s most important piece of safety equipment other than a life jacket?
- [44:49] What is he most proud of as a sailor?
- [45:19] Jim Brady
- [46:25] What question does Mike wish Moe asked her?
- [47:40] Does he see himself still sailing in 10 years?
- [48:54] Learn more about Mike here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/505s-kite-foiling-mike-martin-embraces-speed/
- [48:59] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [49:04] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [49:08] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [49:13] Check out the March 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Mike Martin & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.