This week’s host, John Arndt, is joined by World Champion Sailor and Design Engineer Ravi Parent. Ravi is the 2022 US Rolex Yachtsman of the Year and is the only sailor other than Glenn Ashby to have won the A-Cat Worlds, F18 Europeans, and F18 Worlds in a single year.
Hear some of Ravi’s secrets to success when it comes to racing, what’s changed in a decade of foiling, the keys to race prep, what the U.S. can do to improve in the Olympics, and how he fits in time to practice.
This episode covers everything from making sailing history to training. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did Ravi transition from traditional youth sailing to multihulls?
- Has he always liked competition?
- How much does it help to understand the physics of sailing?
- What projects is Ravi working on now?
- How does he train for races?
- Who are his mentors?
- What kind of coaching has he done?
- Short Tacks: Does he do any cruising?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Ravi Parent on Winning with Different Boats
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:26] John Arndt
- [0:45] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:54] Learn more about Ravi on Instagram @RaviParent and at RaviParent.com
- [2:23] What’s he up to right now?
- [2:58] What’s a story that shaped him as a sailor?
- [4:12] How did he transition from traditional youth sailing to multihulls?
- [5:41] Were his parents sailors?
- [6:28] Has he always liked competition?
- [7:23] How did he get into engineering?
- [8:28] How much does it help to understand the physics of sailing?
- [9:35] Did Ravi race in college?
- [10:00] Boston University (BU)
- [13:08] What are Ravi’s secrets to success?
- [14:21] Is he building these boats himself?
- [15:04] What projects is he working on now?
- [18:25] How does he find time to train?
- [20:21] How does he train for races?
- [21:47] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Different Types of Sailing
- [22:35] What other types of sailing does Ravi do?
- [24:02] Who are his mentors?
- [25:07] What kind of coaching has he done?
- [26:32] What’s changed in the foiling world over the past decade?
- [28:51] Why has Europe been more successful than the U.S. in the Olympics?
- [32:10] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- Short Tacks
- [32:35] What’s Ravi’s favorite boat to sail?
- [33:58] What’s his dream boat?
- [34:42] Does he do any cruising?
- [35:56] What’s his favorite regatta or sailing venue?
- [38:02] What’s his advice for any new sailor?
- [39:12] What does he have coming up next?
- [40:12] Wind Strategy by David Houghton & Fiona Campbell, The Medal Maker by Roger Vaughan
- [41:12] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [41:18] What final thoughts does Ravi have?
- [42:12] Learn more about Ravi on Instagram @RaviParent and at RaviParent.com
- [42:16] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [42:19] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [42:25] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [42:38] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [42:58] Check out the July 2023 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Ravi Parent & John Arndt on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.