This week’s host, John Arndt, is joined by Mark Mills to chat making boats and races better. Mark is the Founder of Mills Design, one of the most successful performance yacht design offices in the world. His boats have won many races, regattas, and Boat of the Year titles across the globe.
Hear stories of sailing serendipity, the similarities between airplane and boat design, how Mark got his first design clients, how to create opportunities for yourself in the sailing world, and what he would do to improve racing.
This episode covers everything from yacht design to ocean racing. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What kind of boats did Mark start sailing on?
- How do you design performance yachts?
- Where are the racing rules heading?
- Does Mark do any racing these days?
- What projects does he have on the drawing board now?
- How do you build a community around a boat class?
- What types of sailing are growing in Europe?
- Short Tacks: Where’s Mark’s favorite place to sail?
Learn more about Mark at Mills-Design.com.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Mark Mills on Designing Performance Yachts
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:26] John Arndt
- [0:45] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:54] Learn more about Mark at Mills-Design.com
- [1:55] What’s a story that shaped him as a sailor?
- [3:58] What kind of boat blew his mind?
- [4:42] Zoom
- [4:55] Where did Mark start sailing?
- [7:57] What kind of boats did he start sailing on?
- [9:14] St. Francis Yacht Club (StFYC)
- [9:38] How did Mark choose yacht design as a career?
- [11:46] Sign up for Summer Sailstice at SummerSailstice.com
- Mills Design
- [12:25] How do you design performance yachts?
- [14:58] How did Mark decide what boats to focus on?
- [17:52] What boats interest him to this day?
- [19:07] Where are the racing rules heading?
- [21:45] What’s the latest with the IRC (International Rating Certificate) and ORC (Offshore Racing Congress)?
- [26:01] Does Mark do any racing these days?
- [28:36] What projects does he have on the drawing board now?
- [30:28] Where do his boats get built?
- [31:42] How do you build a community around a boat class?
- [33:24] Richmond Yacht Club (RYC)
- [35:57] How does California sailing compare to the rest of the world?
- [36:58] Three Bridge Fiasco
- [37:35] What types of sailing are growing in Europe?
- [38:42] Subscribe to Latitude 38 Sailing Magazine at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Short Tacks
- [39:36] What is Mark’s dream boat to design?
- [40:48] Is he a racer or cruiser?
- [41:28] What’s a bucket list race for him?
- [42:04] What’s his longest voyage?
- [42:41] Where’s his favorite place to sail?
- [43:15] What’s the most important piece of safety equipment on the water?
- [44:16] The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers, Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana, Against the Odds by Doug Hunter
- [44:51] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [45:41] What final thoughts does Mark have?
- [46:45] Learn more about Mark at Mills-Design.com
- [46:52] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [46:58] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [47:03] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [47:09] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [47:17] Check out the June 2023 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Mark Mills & John Arndt on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.