Episode #64: Jeanne Socrates on Circumnavigating at Any Age
This week’s host, Nicki Bennett, is joined by Jeanne Socrates to chat singlehanding around the globe – again, and again, and again. Jeanne is the oldest person to sail solo nonstop unassisted around the world via the Southern Ocean’s Five Great Capes and is also the first woman to sail solo nonstop unassisted around the world from North America.
Hear how to get started sailing later in life, go from inexperienced sailor to sailing around the world, stories from Jeanne’s 4.5 circumnavigations, what it’s like being out there alone for 11 months, and why sailing brings people together.
This episode covers everything from radio to dolphins. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did Jeanne start sailing?
- What kind of boat did she lose?
- How did her first circumnavigation attempt go?
- When did she set her first record?
- What do you do by yourself for 11 months?
- How was Jeanne’s experience hanging in Australia?
- What’s next for her?
- Short Tacks: Is there any other upgrade she’s looking forward to?
Learn more about Jeanne on YouTube @JeanneSailingSolo, Instagram @Jeanne_Socrates, SVNereida.com, and SV Nereida on Facebook.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
This episode is brought to you by Dream Yacht. Become a yacht owner and sail the world with Dream Yacht
- Jeanne Socrates on Circumnavigating at Any Age
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:43] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:51] Nicki Bennett
- [0:57] Learn more about Jeanne on YouTube @JeanneSailingSolo, Instagram @Jeanne_Socrates, SVNereida.com, and SV Nereida on Facebook
- [2:12] What’s a story that shaped her about sailing?
- [5:29] How did she start sailing?
- [8:44] How did she start singlehanding?
- [13:16] How did she start sailing around the world?
- [19:37] What kind of boat did she lose?
- [23:32] What’s the story behind Nereida?
- [24:04] Imagine being the proud owner of a brand new yacht – and sailing the world in exotic destinations with other charter guests paying the bill for you. It’s possible with Dream Yacht Charter – and much more affordable than you might expect. Choose from our world-class yacht brands and have your operating expenses covered, including dockage, insurance, maintenance, and more. Plus, charter for up to 12 weeks a year in 45+ amazing destinations. And, receive monthly checks to help offset your boat payments. Become a yacht owner and sail the world with Dream Yacht
- Circumnavigations & Community
- [24:45] How did Jeanne’s first circumnavigation attempt go?
- [27:11] How many circumnavigations has she done today?
- [27:49] When did she set her first record?
- [30:50] What do you do by yourself for 11 months?
- [34:28] COVID-19
- [37:52] If you’re looking to purchase a new catamaran or monohull, Dream Yacht can help. We represent many world-class yacht brands that are available to buy through ownership programs in 45+ locations around the world – or through private ownership. Let our expert brokers help you navigate the purchase process. Visit Dream Yacht Sales to get in touch
- [38:28] How was Jeanne’s experience hanging in Australia?
- [46:54] What’s next for her?
- Short Tacks
- [57:12] What’s Jeanne’s #1 safety item?
- [1:00:42] Master and Commander by Patrick O’Brian, Inside by Susan Marie Conrad, Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana
- [1:00:43] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [1:02:28] What’s something onboard Jeanne can’t live without?
- [1:04:43] Is there any other upgrade she’s looking forward to?
- [1:05:31] Learn more about Jeanne on YouTube @JeanneSailingSolo, Instagram @Jeanne_Socrates, SVNereida.com, and SV Nereida on Facebook
- [1:09:52] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [1:09:55] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [1:09:58] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:10:02] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [1:10:09] Check out the November 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Jeanne Socrates & Nicki Bennett on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.
This episode is brought to you by Dream Yacht. Become a yacht owner and sail the world with Dream Yacht.