This week’s host, Nicki Bennett, is joined by returning guest Ronnie Simpson to chat his preparation and campaign for the 2023-2024 Global Solo Challenge. Ronnie is an Iraq war veteran who discovered sailing after being wounded and has since sailed well over 100,000 miles.
Hear how to prepare to sail around the world, find sponsors, how he found his boat Sparrow (hint: Good Jibes played a part!), the helpful gear he’s getting together, and the things you need to move around in life to make opportunities like this a reality.
This episode covers everything from fundraising to singlehanding. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did Ronnie enter the Global Solo Challenge?
- When does he start?
- What’s the story behind Sparrow?
- Who is sponsoring Ronnie so far?
- What’s the coolest experience he’s had on Sparrow?
- How do you support him?
- What’s the single thing he’s most excited about during this campaign?
- How long is the Global Solo Challenge?
Donate to Ronnie’s campaign here: https://RonnieSimpsonRacing.com/Donate.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Ronnie Simpson on the Global Solo Challenge
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:24] Nicki Bennett
- [0:37] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:46] Donate to Ronnie’s campaign here: https://RonnieSimpsonRacing.com/Donate
- [0:49] “Episode #48: Ronnie Simpson on Fulfillment and the Pacific Cup”
- [1:42] How did Ronnie enter the Global Solo Challenge?
- [4:51] Manifestation
- [5:08] What is the Global Solo Challenge?
- [8:47] Baha Ha-Ha
- [12:08] When is Ronnie starting the Global Solo Challenge?
- [12:53] What’s the story behind Sparrow?
- [15:54] COVID-19
- [17:57] What is Ronnie’s trajectory with Sparrow?
- [21:29] Have you ever done the Ha-Ha? The Baja Ha-Ha is a low pressure, super fun cruising rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas – a great way to kick off the season of cruising and make friends. The 2022 Baja Ha-Ha is 10/31-11/12. Find out more and sign up at Baja-HaHa.com
- Ronnie’s Sponsors
- [22:30] Who is sponsoring Ronnie so far?
- [22:34] U.S. Patriot Sailing
- [24:33] New England Ropes
- [25:15] Wichard, Facnor, ProFurl
- [25:56] Elvstrom
- [27:33] Racing the Wind
- [28:39] Sollevato Coffee Co.
- [29:12] Colligo Marine
- [29:42] West Marine, B&G
- [30:07] Ronstan
- [30:37] Andersen Winches
- [31:14] Coppercoat
- [32:12] Scanmar International
- [33:40] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- [34:39] What’s the coolest experience Ronnie’s had on Sparrow?
- [35:41] Rocking the Boat
- Short Tacks
- [44:38] What’s the best way to support Ronnie?
- [47:01] Donate to Ronnie’s campaign here: https://RonnieSimpsonRacing.com/Donate
- [49:12] Follow Ronnie on social media
- [49:31] What’s the single thing Ronnie’s most excited about during this campaign?
- [51:49] What final thoughts does he have?
- [54:22] Donate to Ronnie’s campaign here: https://RonnieSimpsonRacing.com/Donate
- [54:35] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [54:39] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [54:43] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [54:48] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [54:52] Check out the October 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Ronnie Simpson & Nicki Bennett on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.