Episode #62: Linda Newland on Learning to Singlehand the Pacific
This week’s host, Chris Weaver, is joined by Linda Newland to chat about a lifetime of conquering oceans and teaching the next generation of women sailors. Linda is a co-founder of the Northern California Women’s Sailing Seminar 30 years ago and was honored with the 2022 Leadership in Women’s Sailing Award by BoatUS and the National Women’s Sailing Association (NWSA).
Linda holds the record as the fastest female to singlehand from San Francisco to Japan, and has cruised and raced across the Pacific Ocean several times. Hear how to celebrate women sailors, battle seasickness, prepare to cross the Pacific, skipper a crew, and the time she learned Morse Code.
This episode covers everything from sailing seminars to celestial navigation. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What’s the story of Linda learning to sail by herself?
- How did her early sailing experiences inspire her to co-found the Northern California Women’s Sailing Seminar?
- When did she first have a desire to cross the Pacific Ocean?
- How was her first Singlehanded Transpacific Race in 1980?
- When was her second Singlehanded Transpacific Race?
- How do you keep from being too lonely during 52 days at sea?
- When was Linda’s next Hawai’i crossing?
- How was it competing against her new husband?
Learn more about Linda here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/nwsa-boatus-honor-linda-newland/.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Linda Newland on Learning to Singlehand the Pacific
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:24] Christine Weaver (Chris)
- [0:28] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:32] Learn more about Linda here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/nwsa-boatus-honor-linda-newland/
- [1:41] What’s the story of Linda learning to sail by herself?
- [5:04] How did her early sailing experiences inspire her to co-found the Northern California Women’s Sailing Seminar?
- [7:35] When did she first have a desire to cross the Pacific Ocean?
- [8:21] Golden Gate Bridge
- [10:41] Has Linda ever suffered from seasickness?
- [12:03] What was her first Singlehanded TransPac like in 1980?
- [13:23] Celestial Navigation
- [13:28] College of Alameda
- [16:03] Have you ever done the Ha-Ha? The Baja Ha-Ha is a low pressure, super fun cruising rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas – a great way to kick off the season of cruising and make friends. The 2022 Baja Ha-Ha is 10/31-11/12. Find out more and sign up at Baja-HaHa.com
- Sailing the Pacific Ocean
- [16:50] When was Linda’s 2nd TransPac?
- [17:54] Nippon Ocean Racing Club
- [18:14] Suntory Liquors
- [18:42] How long did it take to get from San Francisco to Japan?
- [19:26] Kobe, Japan
- [21:21] How do you keep from being too lonely during 52 days at sea?
- [24:12] Morse Code
- [26:18] When was Linda’s next Hawai’i crossing?
- [28:08] How was it competing against her new husband?
- [29:01] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- [29:51] When was Linda’s next Pacific crossing?
- [31:12] 1988 Pacific Cup (Pac Cup)
- [32:01] What boat did Linda skipper an all-women crew on?
- [33:03] How does sailing with several people compare to sailing alone?
- [33:42] 1995 TransPac
- [35:38] What is Linda up to these days?
- [35:54] National Women’s Sailing Association (NWSA)
- [37:54] What other locations do they have on the West Coast?
- [38:48] My Ship is So Small by Ann Davison, Alone Around the World by Naomi James
- [41:50] Learn more about Linda here: https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/nwsa-boatus-honor-linda-newland/
- [42:59] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [43:04] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [43:20] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [43:22] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [43:24] Check out the October 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Linda Newland & Chris Weaver on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.