Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Katie Pettibone to chat the best and gnarliest times from her illustrious racing career. Katie has competed in 2 Olympic campaigns, 3 America’s Cups, and was one of the first women to race in the Whitbread and Worrell 1000.
Hear how to manage crises during races, her craziest racing stories, why sailing translates to other areas of life, how to train for major races, and give back to the next generation of sailors.
This episode covers everything from racing tips to crisis management. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Where did Katie grow up & start sailing?
- How was the Whitbread?
- Does Katie ever get scared on the water?
- What is the Worrell 1000?
- How is sailing different for women?
- What is the Rising Tide Leadership Institute?
- How many women were on the racing team?
- Short Tacks: If Katie could have coffee with anyone, who would it be?
Learn more about Katie at https://katiepettibone.org/.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Katie Pettibone on Problem-Solving during Races
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:29] Moe Roddy
- [0:48] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:02] Learn more about Katie at https://katiepettibone.org/
- [1:59] Where did Katie grow up & start sailing?
- [2:41] When was her first time on a boat?
- [3:20] Was she a member of a sailing program?
- [4:46] University of Miami
- [5:34] Does Katie have siblings?
- [6:06] How was the Whitbread?
- [6:28] America’s Cup
- [6:48] Dawn Riley
- [7:00] Michigan State University (MSU)
- [9:08] What was Katie’s position on the team?
- [10:06] How did they do overall?
- [11:06] How many women were on the team?
- [13:33] Does Katie ever get scared on the water?
- [15:30] Was she one of the first women to compete in the Worrell 1000?
- [18:32] What is the Worrell 1000?
- [22:16] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- [23:16] What is the Rising Tide Leadership Institute?
- [27:42] How is sailing different for women?
- [30:48] California Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW), Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- [32:54] US Sailing, Peninsula Youth Sailing Foundation (PYSF)
- Short Tacks
- [33:34] The Shipkiller by Justin Scott
- [34:19] Swimming in the Sink by Lynne Cox
- [34:49] What’s Katie’s favorite trip she’s ever taken?
- [35:56] If she could have coffee with anyone, who would it be?
- [36:33] What’s the most important lesson she learned in her career?
- [38:53] Who’s her biggest inspiration?
- [39:12] What question does she wish Moe asked?
- [40:14] What final thoughts does she have?
- [40:32] Learn more about Katie at https://katiepettibone.org/
- [40:39] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [40:44] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [40:48] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [40:56] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [41:02] Check out the April 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Katie Pettibone & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.