Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing, and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Nicki Bennett, is joined by Kayleen VanderRee to chat sailing, snowboarding, and building adventure communities.
Kayleen is a lifelong sailor from British Columbia who first sailed to Mexico when she was 15. Hear how to merge your passions for sailing and snowboarding, learn the engine and electrical system of your boat, cultivate a community around shared passions, find a sailing mentor, and liveaboard.
This episode covers everything from the technical side of sailing to posting your journeys on YouTube. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How has Kayleen learned the engine & electrical systems?
- When did she decide she wanted to get her own boat?
- How did she get into Commercial Diving?
- What snowboarding & sailing expeditions has she done in recent years?
- How do you cultivate community around shared passions?
- What’s involved in getting started sailing from scratch?
- Tack or Jibe: What is something Kayleen couldn’t live without as a live-aboard?
Learn more about Kayleen on Instagram at @FromSnowToSail.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Kayleen VanderRee on Going All in on Sailing and Adventure
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:27] Nicki Bennett
- [0:43] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:51] Learn more about Kayleen on Instagram at @FromSnowToSail
- [2:07] What is a story that shaped Kayleen about sailing?
- [2:30] BC (British Columbia)
- [3:10] Channel Islands, Potato Slough
- [4:15] When did Kayleen decide she wanted to get her own boat?
- [5:57] Liz Clark Latitude 38 Article
- [7:00] What was Kayleen’s first boat?
- [7:53] Kayleen’s YouTube Channel about Spray
- [11:09] Where is she sailing right now?
- [13:02] How has she learned the engine & electrical systems?
- [13:39] Saskatchewan
- [14:22] Alternator
- [15:58] What’s the biggest thing Kayleen’s learned on the boat?
- [17:40] How would you like it if we sent Latitude 38 to your home each month? Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Merging of Passions
- [18:48] What snowboarding & sailing expeditions has Kayleen done in recent years?
- [19:54] Princess Louisa
- [22:07] How long of a sailing trip is that?
- [23:14] Does Kayleen have a trip planned this year?
- [23:39] Paralympics 2022
- [25:11] How did Kayleen get into Commercial Diving?
- [25:42] Ecotourism
- [27:32] Will Kayleen be working while she’s cruising?
- [27:46] Compressors
- [28:49] How do you cultivate community around shared passions?
- [29:11] Rad Girls Collective
- [30:07] Social Media
- [32:24] How do you get started sailing from scratch?
- [34:39] Rail Meat
- [34:52] Crew List
- [35:12] Victoria, BC
- [35:25] Desolation Sound Yacht Club
- [35:57] COVID-19
- [36:55] How has being part of the YouTube community impacted Kayleen?
- [37:24] Delos, Sail Life
- [37:54] Breaking Waves
- [38:27] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- Tack or Jibe?
- [38:52] What is Kayleen’s dream boat?
- [39:27] What is her bucket list sailing trip?
- [40:10] What is her favorite upgrade she’s made to Footloose?
- [41:13] What is something you couldn’t live without as a live-aboard?
- [42:12] Does Kayleen do much sailing in the winter?
- [43:03] BRNKL
- [44:55] Learn more about Kayleen on Instagram at @FromSnowToSail
- [45:35] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [45:38] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [45:42] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS